Tamiya F4B phantom 1:48, doubt about the color of the tail with the alcad lacquers

Mel

Hello guys, I am assembling the Tamiya f4B Phantom at 1:48, I am going to paint the tail and the nozzles with Alclad paints, but there are so many types of Alcad lacquers for example aluminum, dural aluminum etc, etc, etc and I wanted your little help to get the colors right

I would paint the tail with aluminum or steel, and the nozzles jet exhaust color, would that be okay?

If anyone can guide me to paint these 3 or know of other paints/lacquers that also work.

Thanks in advance guys!!

cL4vsuw.jpg

Usually I go for the base colors Aluminium and steel.

Then you can use White, Dull or Dark aluminium, jet exhaust and burnt metal.

Remember that every color can be mixed with each other or any enamel, I have mixed in some pure black in the Aluminium, works great.

Stefan :beer:

1 hour ago, Phantom2 said:

Usually I go for the base colors Aluminium and steel.

Then you can use White, Dull or Dark aluminium, jet exhaust and burnt metal.

Remember that every color can be mixed with each other or any enamel, I have mixed in some pure black in the Aluminium, works great.

thank you so much Stefan, another thing... the alclads can be mixed together and painted on top of each other as you said, but between the alclad lacquers and Ak lacquers can they be mixed and painted on top of each other? or better not

I usually use Alclad clear Cote Gloss over any metallic color as the Alclad paints are very durable, but it scratches easily.

On this 1/48th Eduard P-51D Mustang I have used Alclad aluminium on the wings and Alclad Polished Aluminium on the fuselage, flaps and elevators (pretty much how they painted the real deal.

I clear coated with gloss and decaled and then another clear cote, and as you can see, Alclad´s clear does not kill the metallic effect.

You can always paint the clear paints (acrylics) over Alclad paint (laquer), but I would not recommend the other way round.

Alclad´s paint are HOT, never use these over enamels, don´t ask how I know!

Edited by Phantom2

21 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

I usually use Alclad clear Cote Gloss over any metallic color as the Alclad paints are very durable, but it scratches easily.

On this 1/48th Eduard P-51D Mustang I have used Alclad aluminium on the wings and Alclad Polished Aluminium on the fuselage, flaps and elevators (pretty much how they painted the real deal.

I clear coated with gloss and decaled and then another clear cote, and as you can see, Alclad´s clear does not kill the metallic effect.

You can always paint the clear paints (acrylics) over Alclad paint (laquer), but I would not recommend the other way round.

Alclad´s paint are HOT, never use these over enamels, don´t ask how I know!

Hi Stefan, it was clear to me, you can paint acrylic paints on alclad (only the transparent ones) but normal acrylic paints? and enamels obviously not, AK lacquers (AK metallics) can be used together with alclad lacquers?

22 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

Oh, I misunderstood you there, sorry!

I can´t answer that as I dont use Acrylics, I´m a die hard enamel modeller and I have not tried AK metallics either.

22 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

With all the Nat. metal back there and tonal changes, best to use good shots from active days on F-4.

For the dark petals I use Humbrol Metal Cote gun metal. It is buffed.

Thank you both for answering, the question I had is between lacquers if you could use, for example, ALCLAD together with the AK ones for example (do not mix) simply paint with aluminum xtreme metal and then on top of it for example... alclad x color, the color whatever. :-) thanks guys!