Paint pulling from canopy rail along with mask

ulvdemon

Everyone,

Does anyone have any tips on how to stop or minimize the paint pulling up from the canopy rail after the painting and weathering stages?  I am finding that using liquid mask or tape that the paint is coming up along with the tape being removed, leaving a jagged line? 

I am starting to thing I am missing a step and might need to run a blade along the tape edge to make sure it is not still attached to the tape.  Am I missing something and does anyone have any other suggestions/tips?

I've found that spraying technique can improve the quality of the masking job, whether it is for markings or canopy.  The heavier the paint, the more potential it has for the mask leaving a ragged edge.  This is especially true if the applied paint pools enough to form a connection between the mask and the painted area.  Once a paint bond forms across the transition between the mask and model, you have the potential for a ragged edges when the mask is removed.  So I try to keep the paint coats light and thin and avoid any pooling.  You want to maintain the physical edge between the mask and model during painting.

Also, don't remove the mask until the paint is fully cured.

On the odd occasion I have use Vallejo paints, the paint lifted when removing masking from the canopy! However, 99% of the time I use Tamiya paints, and can still happen if I have not been patient enough! The simple answer is.... Wait! Wait until all layers have thoroughly dried and cured before removing the masking from the canopy. The last 3 I have learnt to wait, and my canopies have come out almost perfect. Just a little under creep of paint got under the masking (simple to get off using a toothpick) and everything was right as rain!

The other thing, brand new blade in your knife, and run the blade along the edges of the masking.just heavy enough to score the paint, and get a 'cut' into the paint and the edge of the mask. Should help to get a clean edge.

Edited by treker_ed

Thanks for the advice everyone.  I usually leave the tape on until the end of build due, and since I only usually build one day a week the tape is left on for months at a time.   I will have to be mindful of the amount of paint and use a new knife blade to score the edge to minimize the jagged edge.