1/24 Fw190D-11/13 test shot

stevegallacci

Yes. The difference between the two types was primarily in the type of guns carried. The D-11 had the two outer Mk108s in the wings and no motor cannon, while the D-13 had a Mg151/20 motor cannon and no outer wing guns, the D-12 would have a Mk108 motor cannon. I suspect the different types might also have slightly different avionics too (?) reflecting slightly different combat roles (?)

All of them had the big blower Jumo 213 with Ta-152 style motor mounts. It was the use of the motor mounts, instead of engineering new mounts, that prompted the alternate cowl. Some references show silly interpretations of different cowls for the differnt types, possilby based off of a combination of WAGs and a couple of prototypes with mutant features not carried over to production.

Specifics needed to finish the 1/32 'D-11 set-

Finish making the mold for the in between bit for the main gear wells and making the masters for the wing Mk108 muzzles. (Eagle edition used to have one of their own, but the master died)

The 1/32 'D-13 would use the same in between the gear well bit, then I ought to make a spinner, and I need a clarification on the ejection chute for the motor cannon. My references say that the Mg151/20 ejects the shells out of the bottom, but I still get the impression that shells or links are ejected out the other side??

The 1/24 sets still need firewalls, the between part, and all the gun stuff.

Didn't the D-11 have a different prop as well? Or have you already finished that part? I have a 1/48 conversion done by Robert Stephenson (one of the best conversions I have ever seen) and I can hardly wait for a 1/32. I already have a kit in the stash earmarked for your set.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve

If you mean the actual cannon itself, then I believe it does send the empty casings and links out the other side - i.e. the rounds pass horizontally through the gun. I have diagrams at home, but am away for a couple of days.

If you need anything drop me a line.

Matt

I prefer not to use Contact resine kits...i had some problems with their kits (and i'm not the only one)

For the D-13 i used the fabflight conversion set (lot of work due to the holes in the resin but very good fitting)

Hey steve i hate you :angry: I didn't want initially make a dora in 1/24 but when i see your conversion...resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist, resist,

i won't resist :)

hey Yannick !

if you don't resist, how can I resist ???? my wallet wont thank you my friend !

this one is damn temptating !!

Fanch

I'm working on the Val in parallel with the other stuff. (and a 1/24 '109F-2 conversion, 1/24 G-10/K-4 correction and cockpit, and ever so slowly another BMW003E, this time for the Revell kit and a Jumo 004B for the Craftworks Ar234B and Trump. Me262)

The 'D-11 and '13 do have the big blade prop, and that was the first thing I did in both scales. I've got a thing about props, getting the right size and shape.

• 7 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Yeah, what ever happened? Story of my life. Actually, a lot of these model projects were busy work to distract me while my Wife was dying of cancer. Between her death and the frustrations of very complicated projects with not much likely return, I pretty mcuh let things slide. I still have all my notes and the key patterns still. However, at this point, while I can do patterns and even some mold work easily enough, I hate casting and am only so-so at actually doing such.