HK A-20G release

Steve Eagle

A point to consider, H production overlapped G production. Hs started in Feb 1944, G production ended in June 1944. so maybe the  later G blocks were outfitted with the different cowling/ exhaust systems. The H got R-2600-29s, the G s had R-2600-23s. The -29s had about 100 more horsepower. The Hs had the individual exhaust outlets . All I want is that data block and the cowlings to jibe.

The early blocks are like the kits, which route the exhausts individually out of the back of the cowl grouped together at several locations. The later blocks have a collector for the top exhausts which exit either side of the cowl just under the wing. You can see the bulge with a cut out in the pic above just under the wing. The other, lower, nine exhausts individually exit the cowl at those little bulges.

Does that make sense? I can't post pics from the manual without buying a copy of the manual.

2 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

The early blocks are like the kits, which route the exhausts individually out of the back of the cowl grouped together at several locations. The later blocks have a collector for the top exhausts which exit either side of the cowl just under the wing. You can see the bulge with a cut out in the pic above just under the wing. The other, lower, nine exhausts individually exit the cowl at those little bulges.

Does that make sense? I can't post pics from the manual without buying a copy of the manual.

Thank you kind sir that helps. I'm going to build it the way it comes out the box so your input really helps.

Yup, not to mention information on the Wildcat, Hellcat, Bearcat, Tigercat, P-38, P-39, P-40, P-47, P-51 (extensive), P-61, P-63, F-82, F-86, Duck, SBD, SB2C, Spit, B-17, B-24, B-25, B-26, A-26 and more! A fountain of info. They always seem to miss crucial pieces you are looking for, or they have it but the drawing is too faint to read, but they definitely have a lot of info. The E&M, parts manual, and flight manual will be a lot of help in detailing the A-20 even though they have no drawings for them. Planes like the Corsair and P-51 they have thousands of drawings as well as the manuals.

A little more info:

A TO for the early A-20 seems to give some build numbers for early G's with the early cowl: 42-53535 to 42-53834 inclusive. This TO is for a reinforcement of the early cowl each side of the top (Carburetor?) intake for what looks like every block up to maybe G-15? It lists A-20 A's to G's but no J's so I am assuming it was fixed in production before the later blocks with the early cowls came out. Hopefully that helps a bit.

I've been doing a little researching and examining photographs of Soviet A-20Gs (as that's what I intend to build), and it looks like they have the smooth cowlings, which suits me fine as it means I can use the kit cowlings. The Soviets received something like half of the A-20Gs produced, so it's certainly possible they had some A-20Gs with the later cowlings with the individual exhausts.

Regards,

Jason