ZM tape vs Tamiya Tape

Hi all,  I see that SprueBrothers is carrying ZM tape as well as the usual Tamiya tape.  The ZM tape is about 1/3 the price of the Tamiya tape - but is it worth it?  I tend to think you get what you pay for.  How does the ZM tape compare to the Tamiya tape?  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Chris

I can't answer your question directly, but why not get some and try it?  If the ZM tape is the same quality as the Tamiya tape, then you've saved yourself money going forward.  If not, then you could still buy it, and use it for those jobs (such as filling in between lines of Tamiya tape, or masking around masks for markings) where you don't actually need Tamiya tape quality, so you've still saved yourself some money.

I do this, my secondary tape is a product called Kip tape, which is sold for the home decorating market, looks like a big reel of Tamiya tape, but is much cheaper per inch/mm.

2 hours ago, CANicoll said:

I tend to think you get what you pay for. 

Very true.

5 hours ago, MikeC said:

I can't answer your question directly, but why not get some and try it?  If the ZM tape is the same quality as the Tamiya tape, then you've saved yourself money going forward.  If not, then you could still buy it, and use it for those jobs (such as filling in between lines of Tamiya tape, or masking around masks for markings) where you don't actually need Tamiya tape quality, so you've still saved yourself some money.

I do this, my secondary tape is a product called Kip tape, which is sold for the home decorating market, looks like a big reel of Tamiya tape, but is much cheaper per inch/mm.

Very true.

That is what I intend to do - but if I heard it was good stuff would get the 5 pack rather than the 1 pack.  I'll let you know the outcome!  Hope you are doing well.

Chris

5 hours ago, CANicoll said:

That is what I intend to do - but if I heard it was good stuff would get the 5 pack rather than the 1 pack.  I'll let you know the outcome!  Hope you are doing well.

Chris

Sounds like a plan.

I'm doing ok, thanks Chris,  keeping busy helps.

The tape should arrive this Friday evening so I'll happily do a comparison between the ZM and Tamiya tapes, as well as some DIY tapes I use for various purposes.  We are coming out of the aftermath of Hurrican Ian (up here, it was only various periods of rain) and the weekend should be gorgeous so hoping to get outside.  But will try and get the comparison up over the weekend.  Chris