1/48 Mitsubishi (version) A6M5 Decals (national insignia)

George

Does anyone know where to find hinomarus for a 1/48 Mitsubishi (version) A6M5 Zero-Sen?  I have a dated 1/48 Monogram (1970s vintage) A6M5 with old decals.  It seems the best decals (set A-48001 and A-48014) from MYK Design are out of stock.  Moreover, an internet search doesn't offer any options for the Mitsubishi version of the A6M5.   

Thanks. G-Man

A6M2 Hinomaru's were not the same size as the A6M5 Hinomru's so those won't work.  I cannot, for the life of me, locate anything in my reference library that indicates the proper size of the A6M5 Hinomaru (or any version of the A6M for that matter).  My suggestion would be to get a copy of the Tamiya 1/48 A6M5 instructions (the old A6M5c instructions can be gotten right  from the Tamiya USA website), call Tamiya USA and inquire if they have a set of decals for that kit.  The newer Tamiya 1/48 A6M5 kit does not have the marking sheet in the instruction sheet, that must've come separately.  That's the best thing I can suggest in the absence of any commercial 1/48 A6M5 sheets and if you're not willing to paint them.

Edited by Juggernut

10 hours ago, Juggernut said:

A6M2 Hinomaru's were not the same size as the A6M5 Hinomru's so those won't work. 

Didn´t know that, I assumed they were the same size! :unsure:

Well, you learn something new everyday!

Cheers!

Stefan :beer:

6 hours ago, Phantom2 said:

Didn´t know that, I assumed they were the same size! :unsure:

Well, you learn something new everyday!

Cheers!

The fuselage Hinomaru was probably the same size but not the wings.  A little visual may help demonstrate. First, the A6M2; notice the position in relation to the aileron mass balance and relation to the wing chord.

Qi41aoc.jpg

Now, the A6M5. Again, notice where the Hinomaru is in relation to the aileron mass balance and size in relation to the wing chord.  Larger.

VnZRjSZ.jpg

REFERENCE: Nohara, Shigeru. (1993). Aero detail 7, mitsubishi A6M zero fighter. Dai Nippon Kaiga Co. LTD. Tokyo (pp. 40 and 42).

Edited by Juggernut

Yeah, Big difference both on the wings and the insignias!  

Never noticed how different they are before, even though I have built a few Zeros myself!  :unsure:

Thanks for the info! :D

Edited by Phantom2

On 4/15/2022 at 9:51 AM, Juggernut said:

The fuselage Hinomaru was probably the same size but not the wings.  A little visual may help demonstrate. First, the A6M2; notice the position in relation to the aileron mass balance and relation to the wing chord.

Qi41aoc.jpg

REFERENCE: Nohara, Shigeru. (1993). Aero detail 7, mitsubishi A6M zero fighter. Dai Nippon Kaiga Co. LTD. Tokyo (pp. 40 and 42).

Thanks for the information, juggernut - most interesting.  One thing caught my eye about the M2 above: the yellow leading-edge bands aren't symmetrical.  Was this deliberate, do you think, or something the illustrator did by accident?

3 minutes ago, Mark_C said:

Thanks for the information, juggernut - most interesting.  One thing caught my eye about the M2 above: the yellow leading-edge bands aren't symmetrical.  Was this deliberate, do you think, or something the illustrator did by accident?

Sharp eyes, this was intentionally done by the author/artist to demonstrate that there were differences between early/later versions of the ID stripe.  I edited out the text from the image that notated the differences.

Edited by Juggernut