Random gloss coat question... Future or Vallejo Gloss?

ulvdemon

Morning everyone, as the title states I have a random question regarding gloss coats.  Currently I am using Future for the gloss coats for my model after the painting stage.  I had the chance to use Vallejo's Matt finish with good results.  In regards to a gloss coat, what is everyone's opinion regarding using Future or using Vallejo's gloss varnish?  Which provided a higher shine or ease of work.

To be clear, I've had no issues spraying Future or spraying the Vallejo Matt varnish, but I am still getting a feel for Vallejo products since I started using them.

Just personal opinion here but I have never had satisfactory results using Future as a clear.

I've long since relegated it to dipping canopies only. It pools way too much for me, and is highly susceptible to environmental issues like water (if not cured) decal setting solution ext, ext. I've seen plenty of peeps use it to effect, but too much work for me without just reward.

I pretty much only MM gloss lacquer or MRPs acrylic lacquer gloss. After finding the joy of how much better they worked as clears than Future, I switched and haven't looked back.

YMMV

48 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I pretty much only MM gloss lacquer or MRPs acrylic lacquer gloss. After finding the joy of how much better they worked as clears than Future, I switched and haven't looked back.

YMMV

You pretty much got me hooked on the MM clear lacquer, but with it becoming harder to find, I've resorted to using Tamiya acrylic clear (at times), and really look forward to trying out the Mr Hobby (Gunze) gloss clear synthetic lacquer. I've had such absolutely splendid results with the Mr Hobby paints, that I can only also presume the clear will work equally great too.

3 hours ago, ulvdemon said:

I have to be careful due to smell.  Working in the basement and do not want to smell out the whole house... again.

Gotcha. I can understand that. Both MRP and MMs clears are defiantly a bit smelly. They go down like an absolute  dream though.  I too work in my houses basement, but have a nice paint booth that draws the smell out one of the basement windows that really helps a lot. 

I've started using Alclad II's gloss coat, which seems nice. Could be that it is supposed to be put on very thinly (on top of metal paints).

I've used Humbrol Clear, which is really thin, but somehow I end up with unexpected cracks, maybe I should put on a thin layer first and let it go hard, before adding more layers.

I tried to thin Vallejo gloss coat, but I found it confusing and it did not seem thin as Humbrol Clear.

Btw, Vallejo has apparently TWO different types of varnish. Regular and polyeurethan it seems. So, two different gloss coats by the looks of it.

Edited by Treehugger