ALQ 71

jozef

Hi guys

I would love to finish my C Phantom in the markings of ´general Robin Olds. And I would love to do it with the excentric ordnance with the ECM pod on the right outboard pylon. I have at least 25 pounds of books on Phantom plus my own pictures but not a decent picture of the pod on this pylon (only couple made from large distance).

Could anybody help me ? At least the info whether the sway braces were used for it or description how it was attached to the pylon.

Anything would be much appreciated

Thanks a lot

Jozef from Slovakia

In the instructions for the Cutting Edge CEC32153, ALQ-71 for USAF F-4s in Vietnam, the following information is given:

“Typically (and there are exceptions!) F-4s flew with one ALQ-71 jammer configured with the non-RAT nose (Ram Air Turbine; has small propeller blades) and the rounded rear cap. However, in a few cases, ALQ-71s with the conical rear caps were photographed on Phantoms. If you require the conical rear cap, this version is available separately in our set CEC32155, ALQ-71 Jamming Pods for the F-105.”

The kit contains both noses, RAT and non-RAT, although the RAT nose needs to have the casting support trimmed so that only the blade is visible (two, one each side). ‘davidmasonmd11capt’s photo above shows the blade, but is a perfect end view of the blade and is difficult to distinguish.

In the early days for Operation Bolo F-4Cs, they were carried on the right outboard wing pylon. Carrying ECM pods on F-4s was new in those days and I don't know if the F-4 could carry time in the Sparrow well at that time, although they did carry them there later.

You may want to consider getting the CE set for the F-105 pods instead. The ALQ-71s used for Operation Bolo were borrowed from F-105 units (and they had to give them back in a week!).