Source for scale drawings

Daniel460

I think the best published Spitfire Mk.I plans are the Cox ones. I'm not sure they are still available. However, some copies were published on websites and forums. Besides that, I do not think there are many other good options for the Mk.I. Out of my memory Arthur Bentley only published outline comparison plans of various Spitfire variants. So they are just good to check overall shapes and dimensions. With regard to details, do not trust plans. I invested a lot of time to make my BoB Spitfire Mk.I as accurate as possible and found many errors or omissions on the plans. Last, the Mk.I is probably the type that saw the highest amount of changes along her production. So 'Mk.I' plans are rarely covering all the possible configurations.

Hth 

Thierry

Thanks Thierry,

I've picked up an 1/24 Airfix Spitfire and wanted to check shapes on her. This is my first venture into 1/24 scale, kind of easy on the eyes at my age. :) In the little research that I have done the Mk.I is a bit confusing with all the changes/upgrades. It's just going to be fun build so close will be good. I'm learning the issue with plans and details on my Defiant. :blink:

I'll see if I can find the Cox plans.

Thanks again,

Dan

No plans, but the Wingleader publication on the Spitfire 1 is an excellent run down of the changes, when they happened, why they happened, lovely big photos of the mods, colour profiles very good reference for any Spitfire 1 project.   www.wingleader.co.uk , Photo Archive Number 1 is the book you want.

No commercial links, just a very happy customer, and perfectly times as my granddaughter, aged 5, bought me an Airfix Spitfire for Christmas ! Looks like I might actually have  to finish a model!

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Source for scale drawings
1 hour ago, wunwinglow said:

No plans, but the Wingleader publication on the Spitfire 1 is an excellent run down of the changes, when they happened, why they happened, lovely big photos of the mods, colour profiles very good reference for any Spitfire 1 project.   www.wingleader.co.uk , Photo Archive Number 1 is the book you want.

No commercial links, just a very happy customer, and perfectly times as my granddaughter, aged 5, bought me an Airfix Spitfire for Christmas ! Looks like I might actually have  to finish a model!

Thanks for that lead. That book looks great! I went to order it but the postage was a bit on the crazy side, I'll look for one on this side of the pond. I do have a Valiant wings Spitfire book on the way, that may get me somewhere. 

Dan

18 minutes ago, thierry laurent said:

This may already help somewhat:

http://soyuyo.main.jp/spit5b/spit5be-1.html#drawing

His drawings are quite good 

They look perfect for what I need! I can convert those to get me close.

You have been a great help as usual Thierry! Thanks!

Dan