Spitfire Mk I gas detector patch decal

Im building a quasi-accurate Hasegawa Mk I spitfire and I notice that some models have a gas detection patch on the left wing.  Unfortunately, my kit and the aftermarket decals I have don’t contain one of these.  My question is: Do I need one for a Spitfire Mk I in service prior to July 1940?  If I do need one can anyone recommend where I might find one?

I’d just paint it.  They were a number of different styles and sizes (and locations), and were probably applied at unit level.  They were a yellow green color, sometimes fairly dark.  The instructions for our last big Spitfire project has some information on them.  Not all a/c in a given unit had them.

You don't 'need' one as they weren't on every a/c, They were on other a/c as well

as some vehicles. Google ' gas detection patch ' for some photos. They were

different sizes in different places so there's no hard rules about them. Often outlined

in red when the treated paper/fabric was taped to the surface same as gun tape.

They were only used until near the end of the BoB.

hth

Indeed. If you do not have a picture showing one on 'your' plane, there is no need to add it. There are not tons of pictures of Mk I showing the planes from the rear and out of the existing ones, few are showing that patch. However, this also means the probability to be sure you are wrong if you want adding it is very low! 

in the new wing leader Spit book there are some good pics - varying sizes and locations from memory

i used a decal on mine but the yellow is way too bright so i will have to go over it 

as JH said, just paint it