Tempest MkV 'cuckoo door' air intake

Hi All.

So I'm currently working on the SH Tempest V, have all the accompanying 'dodads', the cannon bay looks really sharp!  Still trying to force the radiator into the Barracuda nose.....hmm.

Anywho, one thing that I want to add is the 'cuckoo door' air intake/filter.  I can't find any details or good pictures of them.  I know Barracuda make one in 1/48 that I might be

able to get and scratch a scaled up one.  But I was wondering if anyone has any drawings or details of this rather prominent item not available in this scale.

TIA Keith

Found some photos of Typhoon cuckoo doors but Tempest ones are a bit more elusive, however there was a discussion on Britmodeller about Tempests and Chris Thomas the Typhoon/ Tempest expert responded. the thread contains photos of Typhoon cuckoo doors to give you an idea.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235036096-eduard-148-hawker-tempest-mkv-early/page/3/

Cheers

Dennis

• LSP_K2 changed the title to Tempest MkV 'cuckoo door' air intake
12 hours ago, Keith B said:

Thanks Dennis, very interesting thread.  The quest continues..... This is my favorite picture

274sqdn-tempest.jpg

Great photo, it really gives the impression of how powerful the Tempest was.

Cheers

Dennis

12 hours ago, Keith B said:

Thanks Dennis, very interesting thread.  The quest continues..... This is my favorite picture

274sqdn-tempest.jpg

That one is in 'The Big Show', isn't it?

Richard

On 7/2/2020 at 6:54 PM, dennismcc said:

Found some photos of Typhoon cuckoo doors but Tempest ones are a bit more elusive, however there was a discussion on Britmodeller about Tempests and Chris Thomas the Typhoon/ Tempest expert responded. the thread contains photos of Typhoon cuckoo doors to give you an idea.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235036096-eduard-148-hawker-tempest-mkv-early/page/3/

Cheers

Dennis

In particliar, this?:

0ccd1b8c1c1840d2d26d408fc7c87831.jpg&key

Richard

OK, thanks for that. I have several shots of Typhoon intake/filter arrangements, but absolutely nothing for the Tempest, as that aircraft really doesn't interest me at all.

16 hours ago, RLWP said:

That one is in 'The Big Show', isn't it?

Richard

Not in my copy of "The Big Show".  It is on the front cover of "2nd Tactical Airforce" volume 3 and in "The Typhoon and tempest story". It's also in the Osprey "Typhoon and Tempest Aces".

It get's about a bit!

3 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I have to confess that I have no idea what a cuckoo door even is.

This is the Tempest air intake/filter known a the 'cuckoo door'.  The door opened outwards so that in the case of a backfire it did not blow the filter off, as was the case with the earlier 

'Ballistic mushroom' fitted to Typhoons.  I'm hoping to have a go at scratch building one for my SH Mk V.

0ccd1b8c1c1840d2d26d408fc7c87831.jpg

6 hours ago, Keith B said:

Not in my copy of "The Big Show".  It is on the front cover of "2nd Tactical Airforce" volume 3 and in "The Typhoon and tempest story". It's also in the Osprey "Typhoon and Tempest Aces".

It get's about a bit!

My copy of 'The Big Show' is from 1951 and has that image labelled 'Rat scramble at Volkel'. Clostermann identifies the pilot on the left as Brown - he didn't return from this mission

'Rat scrambles' were attempts to bring down ME262s at Rheine/Hopsten as they slowed down as they came in to land. 

Richard