Trumpeter F-14 intakes...

Jeff8600

this is currently an active build on my bench and id say its really up to where you want the level of accuracy to be... Every kit is going to have something that isn't exactly scale to the real thing.  If you feel compelled to make it "The Most Scale Possible",  go for it! Zacto has replacements that according to reviews Ive seen bring them up to snuff...

I've used the zactomodels intakes, and I have another set for a future build, the detail is amazing, with the correct shape. The kit intakes are very squared off, almost like an F-15 eagle, and are covered in very deep rivets. That said, the trumpeter kit will build into a great looking model out of the box, but for accuracy, you'll need a few boxes of resin. 

Hi Jeff, it's not just the squared appearance that is at fault unfortunately. 

The top and bottom edges should be parallel to one another but are n' t on the kit parts. Intake covers may disguise the issue if you're going for the ones that fit over the mouth if the intake but ones that fit inside would n't.

V6865Yh.jpg?1

The pic above from Koralik's build here: Koralik's F-14 in RFI shows the main problem.

HTH