Best stuff to use for stripping paint?

Nanook

Guest Maxim

You can use Tamiya yellow cap lacquer thinner. It will not damage the plastic but do not use it on clear canopies. I use it all the time to remove enamel and acrylic primer etc.

Edited by Maxim

Do you want to strip everything?  Or just the exterior?  Everything includes the cockpit.  If so, immerse it in Windex overnight.  You'll be able to strip it with a cotton bud or toothbrush.

If just the exterior you can use Mr. Leveling Thinner and a cotton bud.  Works like a charm.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you all! I received the kit as a freebie that was about 2/3rds done. The paint appears to be acrylic. I got most of the 1st layer off but the base layer is tough stuff. I'll soak the whole thing. 

Thanks again,

Lee

P.S. I'll let you know how it works out and what I use.

Thank you all! I received the kit as a freebie that was about 2/3rds done. The paint appears to be acrylic. I got most of the 1st layer off but the base layer is tough stuff. I'll soak the whole thing. 

Thanks again,

Lee

P.S. I'll let you know how it works out and what I use.

The base coat might be enamel, as I often use enamel for an acrylic base coat in order to avoid masking tape from stripping it off.

For that you might try regular paint thinner on a small area, since it is cheaper then specialty model products or even brake fluid.