Trumpeter Liberators on facebook

Guest Maxim

There are some out there, just hard to find - there's some photos  Uncle Joe took from the plane, of targets, and one of the Bridge over the river Kwai, but, typically, I can't find them just now.

This is a great photo of a 356 Liberator, probably on Cocos, there's plenty of other great Liberator photos on that site also, such as Snow White.

5 hours ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

I've always liked the look of the B-24 family, so, my current plans - which always change:                              

• B-24J 389th BG Hethel in OD/Grey (current home of Lotus cars). Airframe to be decided
  • PB4Y-2 conversion, Aeronaval, Indochina - conversion of B-24J. Plan is for this to be my lunch-time distraction when I'm in the office
  • Coastal Command Liberator, from the B-24D when released.

Privateer has priority!

As it looks like I can get them for under £130 each here in the UK, the three kits are not much more than a single B-17 - so less stressful to hack them around!  :rolleyes:

Oh, look, another squirrel...

Iain

The Coastal Command option is very attractive - would that take much work based upon a B-24D?

26 minutes ago, Iain (32SIG) said:

Depends which one you do...

Most, I believe, had British turrets fitted - but there was a small batch (6?) that flew with original US turrets.

Will check refs on that and report back.

Iain

"Coastal Command 1939-45" says: "The first six Liberators sent to Britain were unarmed and used for flying ferry pilots back across the Atlantic. The next batch of 20 were fitted with weapons, armour plate, and self-sealing fuel tanks, and went to Coastal Command. These early aircraft lacked power-operated turrets, but were fitted with ASV Mk II radar and four 20mm cannon in a pack below the fuselage."

OK - 'International Air Power Review' Vol 4, Page 159:

"With serial numbers in the LV3xx series, this aircraft is one of the 11 Lend-Lease B-24Ds hurriedly delivered in 1942 for use by RAF Coastal Command. Fitted with American armament and other equipment, these machines were treated as non-standard by the RAF and though most saw service with Coastal squadrons..."

Looking to see if I can find images - one in the journal isn't the best.

Edit - better copy of image in journal - courtesy of Wikipedia - labelled "A Consolidated B-24 Liberator GR.VI of No. 200 Squadron RAF" - but would want to check that as I believe the airframes in this batch were referred to as Liberator B Mk IIIA.

American_Aircraft_in_Royal_Air_Force_Ser

Click on image for full size (twice) - pity we don't know serial - yet...

One from that batch would be easiest I recon  :)

Iain

5 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Here are 126 photos of the Pima PB4Y-2 I took yesterday.  It's restored cosmetically, but not necessarily representative of a wartime bird in detail.  

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/134quj8kuefl2zk/AACuqavBqaHYNyEKPso-XqDla?dl=0

With your permission, I'd be perfectly willing to upload those to our walk around section.