1/32 Revell P-40E

Adrian A.

Hi Guy's,

Have you ever had one of those build's that just seemed to drag on forever??

This is mine. It's been sitting around unfinished for 4 years.

It was my second model that I started after getting back into modeling after over 20 years, and before I found L.S.P..

It's strickly O.O.B. & on it's third paint job. I thought about throwing it in the trash quite a few times, but I decided to use it to experiment on.

I'll post a few pics to show how not to finish a kit. B) :D

The first two pics show the beginnings of paint job # 3 (in acrylics) (BTW - brushing enamels on a plane this size doesn't work very well :blink: )

Adrian A

I've used this build to experiment with a number of things - weathering, decal solvents & both clear coating & dull coating.

A few of the decals have silvered a bit, I'm not sure exactly what I did wrong - possibly a reaction between two different brands of clear coat (Krylon) & dull coat (Testors) :blink:

post-4-1127007157.jpg

You can see some of the silvering of the decals in the last pic. The data block by the cockpit, the tail numbers & a little on the wing star.

The paint chipping was done with a little silver paint. I didn't want to over do it but now I see I should have done a little more? :P

Last pic for the night.

post-4-1127007576.jpg

Good Stuff Adrian,

Repainting/unfinished kits? I'm in empathy land with you there Adrian. I have a couple of planes that I still can't get the colours right on despite painting multiple times ( my Corsair 4times :P ) Mate I hear you with the experimentation thing...you try something and it doesn't quite come out how you would like but you learn something fun that improves your next build and so on.

I'd never seen a Revell P40 built up before but yours looks pretty good to me mate. I see the box in the background displays a future intent too...lotso P51 lovers in LSP ( check out LSP Chris's build...there are so many actually)

cheers...Matt

Thanks Matt,

I try to experiment a little with each model that I do. Some things work :P some things don't B)

But I still keep trying.

There are so many great modellers on this site, inspiring work.

Yes the P-51 box is another future project. I'm experimenting with some detailing work on it. I started it quite a while back & can't seem to get back to it either.

However, my next immeadiate project is to get back to my HobbyCraft Wildcat build. It's been waiting to be finished for quite a while also.

Adrian A.

I think it looks fab. That's the meanest looking nose of any fighter in the war! I hope trump brings out this model P40 at some stage, but one day I have to have one.

I also have an experimental kit. It is a hase 109E, and I have tried everything from surfacing to scribing on it. It's great practice but it's by now a complete wreck. Yours is at least a good looking finished job. Mine is unsalvageable :P

Well done!

Piet

not bad for an "experimental" bird :P I too usually try something new on each build, it makes this hobby more fun for me, and my stuff keeps improving. I think that means something is going right. Just dont give up and keep trying new stuff.

jim

Yo Adrian.....(just had to say that :lol: ) The bottom line is you completed the project after such a long time.

There are point for crossing the finish line regardless of the time it took to do so. You've learned some more about various tactics and as you mentioned, that will help you make an improved effort on the next project.

So.....whats the next kit going to be? :lol: