Maj. Günther Rall

Thanks Brian and Menelaos! smile.gif

Jamie,
thanks too and also for the tip. If there are on the model only the white "Balkenkreuze", i paint them after the camo. Much easyer to mask it. For the color edges i use 12000 Sandpaper very carefully.
Very nice camo scheme you have there. Great work!

Here some more progress pics. Before and after i applyed the decals, i added a coat of Future. Nice stuff smile.gifsmile.gif
next step is the wash. Thanks god that i don't riveted the bird... happy.gif

post-4-1130197785.jpg

Kind of a shame to be putting a matt finish on eh? Looks great the way it is. :) You must dream about assembling these 109 kits.

BTW...are you sure the wallpaper in your display room is just leftover from previous occupants? Anything/news we need to know about ;)

He he...

Cheers Matt

Thanks mate,

yes, "Gunze - powered" 109....

I feel them very handy, but as you already know, the wheel wells and cowlflaps are painted with X-Tra color RLM 02. A very nice color too, and i feel the shade of the X-Tra RLM 02 looks a bit closer to the real shade of that color. But i only have the reference from a restored 109 in our museum. The negative thing is the long dry time. Gunze is dry after cleaning the airbrush, X-Tra not. Perhaps i should use more fast dry thiner.... :lol:

Cheers,

Chris

Hi Chris.

I spent a good deal of time at the Australian War Memorial earlier this week studying the 109G6 exhibited there. The plane was reworked a few times during the war - fitted with later style canopy and some other stuff, but is virtually as it was found in 1945. The museum claims that it is the only surviving example of a 109 still in its original paintwork, which looks to my untrained eye to be RLM 74/75/76.

IMHO you've got it spot on with that paint Chris. Not just a great model, a very authentic model. Bravo!

PS. I'm heading back to the AWM equipped with camera and tripod soon. I didn't even know that they had the G6... but then when I discovered the 262 in tucked away in the corner... in what also looks like original paint... (slats out BTW ;) ) ... and then the 163 sitting next to it.... not to mention the MkIIa Spit and the A6M2 and the Mosquito....

K...you been to Treloar? If you can crib onto the floor a little closer its definitely worth it. Apparently some dude tried to smuggle the G6 into Aus ( no names ;) ;) ). the wings are also around somewhere I believe.

mmmmm Black X....was chatting with a Winge Commander the other day who remembered it from his days at Point Cook when it just used to sit in the corner...hard to believe eh?

If you can...get down to the research centre in the AWM proper basement...lots of gun camera footage of Beaus shooting up ships...footage of Fijian Inf fighting in combat on bougainville as well...very good footage. Endless info

Definitely well worth a look for any OS visitors...as is the Pucka tank museum.

Cheers Matt

Are the hakenkreuz only blurred in the photo?

I remember this as an "issue" when I lived in Germany, as I merrily "broke the law" by putting swastikas on my Bf-109s etc where they belonged.

I mean, it's not like one is hanging a flag out the window! :ph34r: