1/24 Spit Vb Airfix

PietvWdV

This last one is from the P40, just to show future with heavier decals. I wanted to do only future, but about a half hour after it I dabbed it with decal sol , because I didnt want to muck around with these hard gotten decals. But it was probably unneccesary. As I said, I will experiment more still.

post-4-1126810170.jpg

Piet,

Really outstanding model Piet! (I like the way you experiment with your finishes). Like Chris, I find your use of Future as a decal setting solution fascinating. I have heard that this can be done, but I have always been too afraid to try it on a finished model to see how it comes out! (so thank you for sharing your experiences with us all).

One question - applying a good dose of future to the model in the area to apply the decal. Whilst the decal is settling after application and covering with additional Future (and/or decal solvent solution), do you have to soak up the excess Futre around the decal before it sets? (I can imagine pooling or thickening of the finished Future around the local area of the decal).

Many thanks

Derek

Very nice Piet, this method does work, even I managed to do it, with some super thick hassy decals :lol: .

The method I used Derek :

1. Apply an amount of neat future to the area with a soft brush. (don't go berko with it, just enough to cover the decalled area).

2. Position decal into/onto base coat of future.

3. Carefully apply a second coat of neat future over the top of the decal.

4. Using a decent quality cotton swab/q tip, roll it across the surface of the decal. Do not swab it, roll it! This will absorb any excess future but will not remove all of it. You may have to repeat this a couple of times.

5. It is best to work quickly and carefully. And re check it after about a minute or two. If it has lifted , re apply some more future and repeat the proccess. Ensuring that you roll the cotton bud not swab with it.

Piet may do it differentley , but this method worked for me.

Good work. Jim. ;)

Yes. I did another experiment tonight, using only future to apply a thick decal over enamel paint.

As Jim said, I use a soft brush, and I wipe it after dipping it in future to get rid of excess. You basically just "wet" the area of the decal.

Then I slid the decal in position, and brushed future over it in the same manner. Then an hour later I brushed it again with future. It looked for the next 2 hours as if the experiment would flop, but then suddenly in a matter of minutes the decal conformed into every little nook and rivet. So I am sold on it now completely.The key is patience and hands off it seems!

In case where I had a little run I dabbed it up with a cottonbud, like Jim said. The area around the decal is not worse off because of the future because I suspect the future will actually help with the blend into the model. Also future in the doses I use seems to dry very thin and has minimal impact on the surface of the model. Difference in finish will be covered by your final coat of whatever anyway.

I suspect the saving for me (I had to ship in decalset and sol myself so far) in the long run is going to be substantial.

All the best

Piet

Jim/Piet,

Thank you guys...I shall now attempt this method on my next model, now that you have provided me with the courage I need to have a go! Thank you again for being such good 'Guinea pigs'!.

Cheers

Derek

OK She's all done. "Cept that I broke the antenae cable during the photo session. Just Typical!

It seems the gods of plastic want me to have some more practice stretching sprue, so, like a corrupted nun I say "bring on the candles"

post-4-1127568389.jpg