1/24 Spit Vb Airfix

PietvWdV

http://www.swannysmodels.com/TheCompleteFuture.html

try that link Piet...info on the SA situation as well. Looking very neat...am definitely going to try Pierre's masking technique. You've already got a nicely weathered camo going. The maskol sounded like a good idea but I reckon I know what you mean about overdone.

you're turning into a model making machine mate :blink:

Cheers Matt

Aha! Thanx for that awesome link! This will make things easier.

Model making machine! :P This last week I forced myslef to start clearing the bench, on which is sitting 3 half cooked models. One P40, this spitty and even an old Hase 1/32 109E. I desperately want to build that Azur 1/32 frenchy thingy, and I need the space! There is also a He162, an Oscar, and the 163 in the growing pile. And now I hear good things about a certain 262.... :ph34r:

All the best

Piet

G'day Piet, that preshading looks great. (Makes me think I should have done my Spit!). Look forward to seeing your bird complete. And good luck with the "mysteries of Future". Can't believe the blokes at your club clammed up about it. Sheesh mate, tell em to get stuffed for sure. All the best. Jim. :ph34r:

Hi guys!

So now that the future has dried, I decided to put the decals on before doing more future and washes (my next great experiment) and other weathering. I wanted to include the decals in the eventual weathering if that makes sense.

In any even, using the futre link Matt posted, I tried applying the decals using only future, and no decalset or decal solvent. The results are stunning, the decals conformed to every rivet and line. I am very pleased with the future ^_^

post-4-1125791031.jpg

^_^

Unfortunately my mental condition does not allow for aircraft of 2 different scales to be in my house together. So I keep the 32 stuff. This Spit will be my last 24 for the forseeable future.

All the best

Piet

Today I started playing with washes, and fun it was! I experimentted on the Spitty before going on the the P40 later this week. So of course I overdid it again, but it is a great learning curve, and I see there are many effects to achieve with different ways of washing and wiping.

So here are some shots of the spitty rustbucket :)

post-4-1126493806.jpg

Here is another shot. Too much probably, but it actually looks more under the camera flash, and nice in life. I will however do less on the P40. Less is after all, more.

Now I will do exhaust stains and a couple of touch ups, then we go to matt coating.

All the best

Piet

post-4-1126493998.jpg

Guest LSP_Jay L

:D Overdone washes?! Looks good ( great ) to me Piet. You should see my washes...I am an unabashed fan of your weathering mate.

If I end up getting a 24th Spit because of you I am going to be very annoyed :angry: :D

Cheers mate,

Jay

If I end up getting a 24th Spit because of you I am going to be very annoyed :angry: :lol:

Cheers mate,

Jay

Serves you right you twit. Do you have any idea what a tumble my budgets are in now that I HAVE to have an Avenger and a 262? :lol: :o

All the best

Piet

Guest Jay Laverty

Serves you right you twit. Do you have any idea what a tumble my budgets are in now that I HAVE to have an Avenger and a 262? :lol: :)

All the best

Piet

:D Touche

Hi Chris

The use of future as a decal solvent and set has been a revelation for me. The tip came from that swannymodels site that matt posted.

I ahve tried different experiments, and they are not done yet, but here is what I have found works best so far:

1) Apply future with a soft brush to the area on the kit immediately before sliding the dacal off the paper. The reason for this is that Future becomes sticky very quickly and that can be a problem when you want to adjust the position of the decal. BTW, the decal goes into water as per usual.

2) Slide the decal off and when it is positioned, brush a thin layer of future over it. With thin decals, like airfix, I found this sufficient. With thick decals, like some hase or Eagle strike, I add a little bit of Decalsol 15 minutes or so after the future. I am still experimenting with this and if it is truly neccesary.

3) About 30 minutes after, check for bubbles as usual. Poke them with a needle or your momma in law's tongue and apply eithe a bit of future or decalsol.

This method has so far yielded great results. It has also eliminated the use of decalset and drasitcally reduced the use of decalsol. Oh, btw, I have so far only used this technique over areas already sprayed with a gloss coat of future, so I dont yet know the impact on potential silvering with matt finishes.

I will however keep the decalsol and set handy, because I suspect they wim=ll be usefull with very difficult to place decals, where future might be less user friendly.

Here are some pictures: This was done with future and decalsol :

post-4-1126809471.jpg