New WNW Rumor

cbk57

I agree that Brit WWI planes are, on the whole, boring. Green, brown, greeny-brown or browny-green largely being the alternatives. Which is a shame, as the aircraft themselves were at least as interesting looking as the German planes - look at the RE8 Harry Tate, bursting with character, or the FE.2b & DH.2 pushers, looking like they were made of bamboo, string & spit.

But covering them all in PC10 just reduces the character and appeal hugely. I know there are some very bright schemes available, but those tend to be trainers or hacks. Pheon do their very best to brighten up the options, but they are still pretty limited.

Except for bright red & white, blue & white or swirls, checks or random patterns that the Felixstowe offers. But that's one hell of a build, as you well know, and very much the exception that prove the rule.

Whereas, looking at a Pheon sheet for, say, the Pfalz D.III, offers a veritable cornucopia of choices, the only logical solution that presents itself to simply buy more Pfalz's.

But isn't that one of the challenges of modeling? Take a monotone aircraft and with some color modulation, weathering, oil stains, etc, make it interesting? It is what AFV modelers have to tackle all the time with Allied armor.

Guest Clunkmeister

I agree that Brit WWI planes are, on the whole, boring. Green, brown, greeny-brown or browny-green largely being the alternatives. Which is a shame, as the aircraft themselves were at least as interesting looking as the German planes - look at the RE8 Harry Tate, bursting with character, or the FE.2b & DH.2 pushers, looking like they were made of bamboo, string & spit.

But covering them all in PC10 just reduces the character and appeal hugely. I know there are some very bright schemes available, but those tend to be trainers or hacks. Pheon do their very best to brighten up the options, but they are still pretty limited.

Except for bright red & white, blue & white or swirls, checks or random patterns that the Felixstowe offers. But that's one hell of a build, as you well know, and very much the exception that prove the rule.

Which is exactly why I built a Felix and a second one is on the way. Bursting with character and color, along with a rat's nest of goofy lines for the uninitiated to ponder. Edited by Clunkmeister

That cockpit is beautiful, may have sold me on one.

Agreed. Whoever painted that, did an exceptional job, for sure.

It really is amazing looking. Also interesting is the fact that the pilot is in the rear, and the observer (or whatever he was considered back then) is in the front seat, not unlike they might be in a modern situation. 

32058%201~32%20Jeannin%20Stahltaube%20-%

Guest Clunkmeister

And to make matters more confusing, what if the Germans loaned it to the Hungarians, who then gifted it to the Austrians just before it was captured by the Australians.

Guest Clunkmeister

Irish, Scottish, Kenyan, it's whitish cloth..  ;)

Yes, Aviattic has several options for PC.10, and I want to try something different.

Guest Clunkmeister

Early WW1 aircraft were specially designed in ways to make them very efficient at certain tasks. 

for example, placing the observer/air gunner in the front seat gave him the most efficient locvation possible to shoot pieces of his own aircraft into tiny little bits.

• 2 weeks later...

Be.2 and Alb C.Vll

I'll second the Be 2. Love the clunky RFC types.

Others WW1 types that I would love WNW to cover....

JN4 JENNY (please please please with sugar on top)

Airco DH4

Sopwith 1&1/2 Strutter (throw in a dolphin and a salamander and we can run the table on sopwith....🙂)

Avro 504

Just please.....

Zach