B-17E engine accuracy cowlings, HK models 1/32

Kongo

One of the drawings is 15-7616 for the B-17E.  There is a post here someplace showing the differences between the E cowls and the F/G cowls (due to the difference in props, the F/G cowl was shorter than was the E).

Is that all?  That's about an 1 1/4 inch difference. I did the math, and it's about 1/32th inch (.038) to be exact difference in our scale.  Hardly visable to the human eye, and hardly anything to be concerned about in my book.  That puts my mind at ease as I'm doing a  1/48 "E" in progress, which makes the difference even more minimal, about .026 of an inch, and will go with what I've got.  Thank you for those diagrams Karl.  I've often wondered.  Now if I could just find an "E" nose plug for it, which at the moment seems impossible.

Best regards

Patrick

That is why I never saw any need for cowlings in an E conversion set. I know some say they can see a difference in the profile, but I can't. And I sure as heck see the difference in the profile of the HK nose. To each his own, it IS just a hobby  :) ! What is really need for a good E conversion is the SPERRY (not Bendix) remote turret along with the appropriate sighting blister and scanning windows.