About Jim brown's Griffon spitfires..

Paboum53

To Jim: congratulation for your very nice Griffon engined Spifires! This is the kind of conversion I dream to do for ages !

One little thing though: it seems you used the early Mk I/II/V windscreen (without the exterior bullet proof panel) from the Revell kit.

The Spitfire Mk V (late) and all other models after that used another typical windscreen with the bullet proof panel on the  inside (like in Tamiya's Mk IX and XVI).

I bought the Revell Mk II kit and did'nt built it (even thinking of getting rid of it) just because something was not "right" with the canopy and especially the windscreen. I read somewhere that the fuselage width in front of the cockpit is too large and squared off..

I really do admire you work nevertheless!

Cheers! :goodjob:

Henri

For those that don't fully comprehend what's being discussed here (I certainly didn't), Jim Brown does a line of 1:32 aftermarket sets. The only two reviews I can find on LSP, are located here. Looks like interesting stuff, and I do recall the Typhoon set now (naturally).

hi henri guilty as charged I did not have the correct screen so next one I shall cut and reduce the external bullet proof screen and attach to the inside of the screen. jim

Hmmm.. I think this will not be sufficient: the windscreen side panels on the Mk IX/XIV/XVI  are flat, not rounded as in the Mk II/II early V..

windscreen1_2.jpeg

windscree2.jpeg

See what I mean?

One more question: will your conversion set fit the Tamiya kits?

Bye for now,

Henri

Edited by Paboum53

The upcoming Mk IX from Revell will be the ideal donor kit for these conversions and the parts should fit as it seems to be based on the slightly inaccurate Revell Mk II, for which these parts are designed. For the Mk 12 though, you will need to replace one of the underwing radiators with a piece from another early variant kit or Barracuda etc.

Ideally though, we could all justify cutting up Tamiya Spitfires.

Hi henri thanks for the input I see what you mean now I not that the front screen is the same as the bubble top  I am in the  process of of making a master for the bubble top to be made as a vacuform for my next griffon spitfire ,this is the lowback (bubbletop ) when I have this in production the front screen may be the solution . regards Jim

hi Alburymodeler I will be trying this on the new revell spit as soon as I can get one , as regards the underwing radiator I have now made a new one to replace the revell part as the one with he kit is too small and I will supply this with the MKXII conversion as soon as I have the parts moulded .regards jim   ps I am sure the conversions will fit the tamiya kit as the cowl is cast hollow and the shape can be adjusted by applying heat and gently reshaping .