Wing Nut Wings Bristol Fighter

Jackson

Due to knee surgery I have a little more time on my hands. So a bit more work done( I'm blaming) any mistakes on the painkillers. I found an old grainy photo which I believe shows an Irish machine in the 1920's. It is in dope silver and the prop looks like its all wood with a metal LE. This is what I hope to achieve.

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Regards

Michael 

20160329_222211_zpswc7k2ghu.jpg

20160329_222242_zpstc3u2omy.jpg

20160330_093005_zpsfzeuedfo.jpg

20160330_093112_zps3wgsy5an.jpg

20160330_093034_zpsygtyitco.jpg

orca_share_media1459289554096_zpsg4plrjm

Have never built WNW as they didn't exist when I was last modelling.

Also never built 1/32 WW1.

Was toying with the Bristol or the Tamiya Mosquito. The Mossie won but looking at

your pics etc I want one.

I am experiencing the joy of the Tamiya 1/32 engineering through

the Birdcage F4U

Is the WNW as good?

Have never built WNW as they didn't exist when I was last modelling.

Also never built 1/32 WW1.

Was toying with the Bristol or the Tamiya Mosquito. The Mossie won but looking at

your pics etc I want one.

I am experiencing the joy of the Tamiya 1/32 engineering through

the Birdcage F4U

Is the WNW as good?

I am thoroughly enjoying the build. The last big thing I built was the Tamiya Birdcage Corsair which was great. This time I wanted to try something different and something I have never done before. I picked the Irish scheme again as something different hopefully will work out well. This is my first WNW kit and so far so good. Both Tamiya and WNW are great kits.

Michael

Some paint added and a good friend let me borrow Joe and Patricks fantastic book on the Irish Air Corps. It has provided all the information neened to complete this build. Steadly bringing all the parts together ready for assembly and rigging. So the same ammount of time to come. Couldn't resist placing the top wing on fgor a quick look. 

Photos

20160331_162209_zpsavsmtuia.jpg

20160330_093112_zps3wgsy5an.jpg20160331_224647_zpsgdd48zpd.jpg

20160331_224602_zpsk9j6gxmp.jpg

My rigging options.

20160401_103038_zps6jd9btfn.jpg

Regards

Michael

Edited by Jackson

Your model is looking really great Michael.

I bought one of the original issue when they came out (and a companion DH 9 when that did) but haven't progressed past comparing parts to photos.

(Incidentally there is a way to save the photos from WNW's reference section if that's helpful. I won't post it here in case they block it, but PM me if required. Or they might have stopped being silly since I looked).

You seem to be progressing well. Did you find mounting the fuselage to the lower wing difficult?

I wasn't sure if a jig would be required to keep everything trued up and square.

Your model is looking really great Michael.

I bought one of the original issue when they came out (and a companion DH 9 when that did) but haven't progressed past comparing parts to photos.

(Incidentally there is a way to save the photos from WNW's reference section if that's helpful. I won't post it here in case they block it, but PM me if required. Or they might have stopped being silly since I looked).

You seem to be progressing well. Did you find mounting the fuselage to the lower wing difficult?

I wasn't sure if a jig would be required to keep everything trued up and square.

The wing fuselage join is a bit awkward I didn't completely follow the instructions as I had joined the Wg parts first. So far so good.

Michael

Just a small update

After fitting the Lower wing I dropped the model. This resulted in the integral U/C legs shearing off. Fortunately the Post War boxing comes with the original U/C legs. So with a little surgery and stregenthing it is all good again (and hopefully a little stronger).

I decided to do the rear fuselage rigging before a replaced the lower wing and below is the result. A little tidying and painting to do but I'm happy with the result.

IMG_0134_zpsuknuw9ao.jpg

Regards

Michael

• 1 month later...

Sorry folks for no updates.

In truth after dropping the model I sort of lost interest and was having to fight a bit with her. It felt like a bit of a loosing battle. The kick in the rear to finish (apart from the cost) was the upcomming Irish Model Soldier Society show. Got her finished and took her to Dublin. To my very pleasant surprise she came second behind David Parkers Tamiya P51. It also won the Air Corps Award. So not bad for something i was going to chuck in the bin.

Anyway some photos

I will also post a RFI

20160428_204553_zpssnkcxil0.jpg

20160428_204333_zpsgfhl8rk9.jpg

20160428_204154_zpsjnv8rz95.jpg

20160413_151114_zpsqzac843x.jpg

20160413_151102_zpsv2r0odto.jpg

Regards

Michael

Thanks Kevin,

I have started an RFI post but unsure how to link them. Hope to post more photos in the RFI tomorrow.

Thanks again for your kind comments.

Michael

Looks fantastic, Michael! Congrats on your award, too. Looking forward to the full suite of RFI photos.

Kev