Taking the Plunge: Kitty Hawk P-39 Airacobra WIP

quang

The intake is really puzzling part. I have several images of slightly differing intakes. At least that's my impression, did the shape changed during the production? Not sure, it is possible, but I do not have the evidence. So let us stick with existing photographs of an particular plane, or production series .

would this help?

1.jpg

Haha! Thank you Martin but these are the very same photos I used to correct mine!!   On other pics, the intake appears flatter on its top. Optical illusion? Depends on variant?

As for the paint scheme, it would be a Russian of course. I like to the idea of telling the history of a particular plane by the different paints it wore. I haven't decided which one yet but certainly not one of the well-known aces. May be a run-of-the-mill machine with a twist  :whistle:

I know, I've wasted tons of time studying different pictures, but it let me nowhere. So I saddled on this one, its a real deal and if anybody has a problem, so be it :).

That's funny, that you don't wanna build big names, personally I do not like "demo" aeroplanes of high scoring aces, My preference is a regular farmers kid, that is doing everything to survive madness of the aerial combat.

Good guy to talk to about camouflage is Misios66, he's a researcher and artist, creating very nice profiles, mainly VVS stuff.

PS: I wander about the twist :)

Edited by Martinnfb

I know about Misios66's work. Thorough research, very informative stuff. I check it regularly.

PS: I wander about the twist :)

Martin, you do read cyrillic, don't you? 

Dear Sirs (meaning Quang and Martin,)

Will you please exkuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuz my ignorance but I would be very glad if one of you gentlemen could provide me with a link to Mr. Misios66 work.

I am quite sure this gentleman could help me differentiate a P-39 from a 2CV and so help me filling this huge gap in my aeronautical culture.

Thanks to you both for your help and for this beautiful work.

Madcop :mental:

Shhhhh, Hubert!, you never know who is watching :)

Quang, there are some cool figures of Russian pilot available from Wing Cockpit figures in 32nd. scale. Male, female, dogs etc ;) That would sure be a nice addition to your cobra, also a bicycle . Well that's what I would like to do at some point if I ever finish that pesky thing :)

Cheers

M.

wc1_32vvs01b%20(1).jpg

VVS 01 A - VVS woman pilot standing on wing (heads for fighter pilot Lilya Litviak and Sturmovik pilot Anna Egorova)

I added some wiring here and there and on the back of the IP

IP%20wires.jpg

Oxygen regulator with hose from guitar string

Oxygen.jpg

I spruced up (reinforcement strips) the RH side of the seat since it will be in full view with the right door open. LH side left untouched.

Seat%20detailed.jpg

Now off to the paint shop.

Until later,

Quang

Hi quang,

very nice work. And knowing it will wear VVS camo&marking, it is even more interesting (at least for me). I watch this thread regularly, together with Martinnfb's Cobra.

Good luck.

66misos

PS: Thanks for kind words about my profiles. I am glad they help somebody.