Font for F-86D

Steve Eagle

I would like to know what fonts that were used for numbers and letters on the F-86D.  Trying to find out so I can create new ones so that are not on the decal sheet in the Kittyhawk kit or the Zotz sheet. I assume the smooth curvature and angled styles were both used.  Are there any new decals coming out for the F-86D???

You can make your own fonts. I have used Coreldraw to do this, but I am sure other graphics software will do it too. Of course, you need to be able to lay out the images in the first place, so it might not be worth the effort, but if you were going to type in a lot of stencils for example, it probably would.

Tim

Guest Airfixer

I'm facing the same problem...been looking for generic NAA-applied buzz numbers/serials/USAF titling decals. To no avail...

The more I look at photographs, the more variations seem to show up as to the NAA lettering...slight differences in stroke, spacing between words, etc.

f86d_markings1-002_zpsc8llptnz.jpg

Cheers

Erik

Guest Airfixer

Thanks, gents.

Jon, Tony...

Just as Jennings has already pointed out, the NAA-applied lettering is truly unique and some of the available fonts are give or take close matches. However, individual letters, e.g. E and F, are completely NAA-proprietary, and once traced, they will still need some modifications.

HD sheet:

It's a great sheet. But in case you may want to build a Sabre Dog wearing full NAA lettering, it lacks the "round" U.S. AIR FORCE titling as well as the "round" 8" vertical tail serials found on many aircraft. So far, none of the available sheets has provided modellers with the full meal. Single stroke "angled" lettering, NAA lettering, stencilled versions versus solid versions, 12", 15", USAF titling with deviating word spacing, etc.

F-86D-40 in full NAA lettering:

NAAdoggystyle_zpsexgjiyrc.jpg

Variations of NAA-applied and "regular" single stroke USAF titling:

USAF_titling_var2_zpsifqkmfgs.jpg

Erik