Matt clear coats? What do you guy's use and what's you're

Guest DannyVM

Guest Peterpools

Up until recently, I was almost 100% Glosscote and Dullcote but with going all acrylics and the disaster with the Viper, I've converted:

Gloss: Future or Winsor & Newton Artists' Acrylic Gloss UV Varnish

Flat: Winsor & Newton Artists'Matt UV Varnish, Vellejo Matt Varnish

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Gloss: Future or Winsor & Newton Artists' Acrylic Gloss UV Varnish

Here in my country, there's Sols plus (Future), but i have a very bad experience using this as a gloss coat. In way of the other i can't get a smooth surface, so i think the formula, isn't quit the same as the original future.

Flat: Winsor & Newton Artists'Matt UV Varnish

Is this enamel based Peter??

Tamiya XF-86 clear flat NOT to be confused with their X-20 flat base.

Can i ask, how do you dilute you're flat clear......what's the ratio you using to get the job done??

Greetz

Danny

Guest Peterpools

Danny

Both are acrylic based and seem to work well on tests. I've thinned with X-20A, use a bit of W&N flow enhancer and the results seem to be very good.

Peter

Thank's Jim.

Both are acrylic based and seem to work well on tests. I've thinned with X-20A, use a bit of W&N flow enhancer and the results seem to be very good.

Very intresting, from the moment i'm visiting the shop, i will take a look at these, thank's Peter.

Greetz

Danny

Just about every so called matt lacquer I've used has been utter rubbish.   I've tried Xtracolour, Humbrol Matt Cote and a few others and they've either provided patchy or satin (bordering on gloss) finishes.    The only one I've used that's provided a consistent finish is Halfords Matt Lacquer.   Not totally flat but it still gives a pretty good finish and is simple to use.    Not sure if it's available outside the UK though.

It is lacquer based, Danny. Comes in both spray cans and bottles for airbrushing. The spray cans are harder to control, tends to go on pretty heavy if not carefully done, airbrushing allows better control. If a flat finish is desired, I have had better luck getting a very dull finish when airbrushed.

Tim

Edited by BiggTim

I used to use Polly Scale too. Tried a lot before I settled on Vallejo Polyurethane Matt Varnish (27.651). Not the same as the little squirt bottles of flat. Very durable and dead flat. Thinned with Vallejo airbrush thinner. Good value too as it comes in a large bottle (the one I got is 200ml, but they have larger ones I think).

Cheers

Joe

Edited by bulmer69

Testors isn't for sale in these regions, so i will look out for the W&N matt coats and the Vallejo matt coats, like mentioned in previous posts.

maybe i will do a test with Humbrol and Alclad also, i'm curious about these two.

I will do a test of each brands from the moment i have them in my hands.

But i wanna thank all of you guy's who replyed, because there's lot's of stuff you mentioned that i can use, thank's for that.....it's appriciated guy's. :thumbsup:  :speak_cool:

Greetz

Danny