1/32 P-51B/C Tail Fillet

BJW

Hello,

I'm doing Cpt. Don Beerbowers  P-51B-1-NA " BONNIE "B" II " 353rd FS/354th FG in 1/32 - using the Trumpeter P-51B Kit 

Does anyone have a source or helpful suggestions for the tail fillet on late model P-51B's & C models ?

I even thought of "grafting" the rear tail fillet assembly from the spare clear P-51D Fuselage in my other Trumpeter kit,

but noticed looking at available online images & my available reference material they are different.

Any help would be much appreciated -    Barry

Hi Barry,

if you search in the net, then I recommend to do it under "Dorsal fin", maybe if you change the topic you receive more response?

see

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/51b-dorsal-fin-31066.html

and see Bentley drawings,

http://www.albentley-drawings.com

Current working on the same model so I have more, but replacing my hard disc that takes time to provide you more information.

regards

Along these same lines, did the C always have the fillet? It's also my current understanding that the B and C are in fact identical, just manufactured in two different locations. Is that true?

As I'm no Mustang "expert" - nor a rivet counter, most of the labeled -C Model's that I've come across in my reference material seem

to be F-6C TAC Recon Mustangs flying in Europe. but all seem to have that dorsal strake/fillet.   

Capt. Beerbower's Bonnie "B" II was a P-51B-1NA and I'm guessing it was retrofitted at depot level with the tail fillet? 

( possibly soon after the Malcolm hood was added ?)  

-- Barry  

Depending on my 72-year old memory (my Mustang refs are boxed up at the moment) the B and C models were delivered without the dorsal extension as were all D models before the -10? or -15? block.  Some Bs, a few Cs and many early Ds were retrofitted in the field with the extension which was provided as a sheet metal "kit" if my tired brain remembers correctly.  Mustang experts should feel free to correct me if I have gone astray.

Fin fillét started to be fitted late in the D-5 production at the Inglewood plant. It was that early design ("Swayback"?)

That means any D-10 and D-15 and onwards had a fin fillét of some sort. Can´t remember when the next variant appaered.

Sorry but don´t know much about the B/C´s.. Other than a few were retrofitted with fin filléts.. (Was it needed?)

Sorry but don´t know much about the B/C´s.. Other than a few were retrofitted with fin filléts.. (Was it needed?)

I'm not sure about the needed part, but can only assume they were installed based upon the thinking that it was somehow beneficial.

Fillets helped with lateral stability in any situation. Helped more with the D's because of the cut down fuselage, but obviously they figured it would help with the B/C's too. The P-51's were pretty wobbly when fully loaded with fuel, at least the D's, and there was a specified order of which tanks to empty first when flying because of this. If the order wasn't followed it got worse.

And of course, as Jennings mention, better lateral stability meant better accuracy with the weapons. 

Interesting stuff, Ray, I had no idea. I'm starting to feel pretty silly about my reference library; I purchased most for the imagery, and seldom read any of them, so I remain ignorant of lots of facts that are probably buried within those references.