1/32 P-51B/C Tail Fillet

BJW

Sometimes reading the text gives you insight into what you're seeing in photos.  And on occasions it's actually interesting :)

I really wish I did as Charles had done, create a spreadsheet or database that allowed an accurate view of what was where regarding my references, that way I could more easily find stuff. I did do that recently with my Hawker Typhoon references, but that barely scratches the surface.

Man, that's rough, Jennings. I know there is so much I would lose in a fire that simply could not be replaced.

Yep, sad stuff indeed. To see all these books that it took me 40 years to acquire, burn up, would surely break my heart.

Well, I've replaced a fair percentage of them (thank goodness for insurance!), but a lot of it was irreplaceable.  But the bottom line is, I was safe, my critters were safe, and the rest of it was just "stuff".  

I'm very familiar with loss, though not necessarily from fire, so I can certainly understand your perspective. I hate loss, in all its various forms, but realize full well that I can probably (eventually) replace those things that were most relevant to me.

One of the reasons for the fillet was the nasty flying characteristics of the early D.

Will a full load of fuel the CG was quite a bit aft making it extremely touchy on the controls, almost untrainable and many younger less experienced guys and some not so inexperienced managing to have difficulty. This could involve stalling and in many cases invariably an unrecoverable spin due to the extreme aft CG. Adding the fillet reduced the tendency to go into a fully developed spin by improving directional stability.

However it did nothing to tame the extremely poor handing the Mustang exhibited with anything more than 1/4 of a tank of fuel in the aux fuselage tank.

The fillet also added stability at high speeds and during gunnery as Jennings stated.

Great aeroplane but with the Aux tank full it was a completely different animal and as dangerous to its pilots as the Germans but it did have incredible range. The price paid was very poor handling until the aux tank was empty.

Edited by Darren Howie