1/35 Hobby Boss Merkava Mk IIID - 8/8/15: In the Paint Shop

John F Smith

Wonderful!    I know know...................I guess Im a masochist..............I actually found the Pitz Models PE cans on my SU-33 stimulating for some reason, as I would find the ball-and-chain armor.  Self loathing indeed! 

Id LOVE to get a set of the Friul Tracks for my DML King Kitty..............you say they can be soaked in Westleys Bleche Wite to clean them? or is there another purpose?

Id LOVE to get a set of the Friul Tracks for my DML King Kitty..............you say they can be soaked in Westleys Bleche Wite to clean them? or is there another purpose?

Ernie, the Friuls are covered in mold release or something that prevents an overall even blackening. I have used white vinegar, but will give old Bleche Wite a shot at this on my next tracks.

Hi Bill,

Yeah the ball and chain stuff is mind breaking kind of work.  I'm only managing about a half hour a day before I'm completely done for the day.  But, I figure if I can make constant progress, I'll get it all done.  Working on getting the assemblies mounted to the brackets which will be glued to the turret.  Sure am glad that this part of the build is almost over.

Thanks for stopping by, Bill.

John

Thanks, Peter

The thinner finally came in yesterday afternoon late and I'm ready to start mixing and painting now.  Just my luck that I'm loaded up with appointments today and tomorrow.  Oh well, we're getting there and the end is definitely in sight.

John

Thanks Brian,

I really do like the detailed PE work.  Doesn't bother me a bit.  BUT, the ball and chain armor is in a class totally by itself.  Whew!  Thought I'd build another Merkava someday and I still might, but the thought of all that little chain again......

John

• 4 weeks later...

OK, I'm long past due for an update on this build.

I had a lot of difficulty with the paint on this build.  I was using AK Interactive IDF Sinai Grey Modern and I didn't have any thinner for it, so first I waited impatiently for my orders of both Ultimate Paint Thinner and AK Interactive Acrylic Thinner to arrive.  Finally they came in and I proceeded to paint the model and it was a complete disaster.

With the AK Interactive paint, I attempted to spray it neat, thinned to various degrees with AK Interactive Thinner, and thinned to various consistencies with Ultimate Paint Thinner.  In every case, my airbrush clogged up almost immediately and it looked like the paint was separating in the paint cup.  I simply could not get it to work.  I'm not blaming AK Interactive because I think I got a bad batch of paint, but I would be very, very interested to hear what anyone else's experience has been with this product.

After much cleanup and frustration, I airbrushed it with Vallejo IDF Sand Grey, and that's the color it's going to be.  I sprayed it neat, and, as usual, I was very happy with the Vallejo Model Air product.

Also, I've finished adding the armored glass to both the turret and hull as well as painting the pioneer tools on the back of the hull.  Perhaps a wasted effort because they will be mostly hidden under the ball and chain armor, but it was good practice in doing a wood finish.  In addition, the machine guns have their final painting complete and are ready for a wash.  I painted them with Alclad gun metal and did a slight polish with Uschi van den Rosten gun metal powder.  It's very easy to use and imparts a nice sheen to the metal parts.

Still to come is lots of detail work before we can spray it with a satin finish prior to the decals, washes, and weathering powder work.  Especially, I need to start over on the mounting of the ball and chain armor.  I just am not happy with how it looks on it's mounting bar and I figure I've already invested a load of time in this tank.... I might as well try to get it right. 

Here are photos of the hull, turret, and machine guns:

Merkava%207%201%20of%203_zpsasxv5juz.jpg  

Merkava%207%202%20of%203_zpsq49e04xp.jpg  

Merkava%207%203%20of%203_zpsbywrh3oq.jpg  

So, that's it for now.

This project is going on the back burner for a while.  I'm not putting it on the Shelf of Doom, but I'm going to be concentrating on my Zero build for a while.

I will continue to update as I make progress, and thanks for stopping by.

John