Staggerwings Unlimited

NavyMech06

My favorite civilian aircraft would have to be the Beechcraft D17 Staggerwing and I was fortunate to pick up the Staggerwings Unlimited kit on Ebay the other day. Unfortunately it is completely bare of any interior detail and the engine leaves a lot to be desired. I haven't taken any measurements to see how close they got to the 1:1 but i'm not really worried about that, as long as it looks close when its done I'll be happy, my problem is whether I should keep the kit as close to original as I can since its a rather hard kit to come by, or should I go all out and scratch an interior and engine for it. I'd like to like to put as much detail as I can into it but I don't want to bugger up a kit that I can't easily replace.  

Also would anyone know where I can get an R-985 Junior Wasp in 1/32? I've found one in 1/48 but that's all I could find.

I have the kit as well, someday it will be built when I feel like scratching an interior for it.  I think I read somewhere that the wing span was about one inch too short?

The Williams Bros Sparrow Hawk has a fairly good R-975 that may work.  Ideally, maybe Silver Wings would sell an engine out of their Steerman kit? I have the kit and the engine is a gem.  There are some pics of the engine in the review I did last year.

My favorite civilian aircraft would have to be the Beechcraft D17 Staggerwing and I was fortunate to pick up the Staggerwings Unlimited kit on Ebay the other day. Unfortunately it is completely bare of any interior detail and the engine leaves a lot to be desired. I haven't taken any measurements to see how close they got to the 1:1 but i'm not really worried about that, as long as it looks close when its done I'll be happy, my problem is whether I should keep the kit as close to original as I can since its a rather hard kit to come by, or should I go all out and scratch an interior and engine for it. I'd like to like to put as much detail as I can into it but I don't want to bugger up a kit that I can't easily replace.  

Also would anyone know where I can get an R-985 Junior Wasp in 1/32? I've found one in 1/48 but that's all I could find.

Would you believe I just made a donation to a friends widow for this kit. Personally I don't plan to build it so it will set in my stash forever. If you want to build yours and go all out, then know there is a back-up in case you bugger your up.

If you would like to make a donation to the family then PM me and we can talk about an exchange

Thank You 

Jack

The Stearman'e engine is a 7-cylinders Continental, when the P&W R-985 is a 9-cylinders, so it's a non-starter I'm afraid ...

Today, the only option, as mentioned, is from Williams kits, the Sparouhawk or the Gee Bee which has the Wasp for the R-1 and a smaller crankcase to represent the Wasp Jr R-985 of the R-2.

I am in the process of designing a 1/32 CAD model of the R-985 (for the Staggerwing and other projects). If you can wait a few more weeks (read months) then there will be one.

Hubert

Ron thanks for the information, it was helpful, Marauder i'll have to talk to the keeper of the checkbook but i'll probably take you up on that offer. And Racer that actually sounds like a good deal, I'll PM you for more info on it, though i did some research and the stearman was outfitted with a Lycoming nine cylinder as an aftermarket engine later on in production, though it was about 1/3 the displacement of the r-985. i need to scratch a cowling for the model anyway since the kit is one piece and its terribly out of shapre.

On another note, the wingspan on the model is 1/4 inch short of 12 inches, so...looks like its close enough. and i think i'm going to go ahead and scratch together the interior. i picked up most of the military manuals for the UC-43/GB-2 so i've got a lot of reference. unfortunately i CAN'T find any photos of the wheelwells. Nobody seems to want to take photos of the wheelwells, they just want the gorgeous profile that the D17S presents. Now if i can find a real one for less that 200,000 dollars i'll sell my wife and kids and be happy.

• 1 month later...

I've just received the Staggerwings 1/32 today. Help and info on the interior would be appreciated as well.

I have the 1/48 from AMT in the stash as well as a huge hunk of Eduard AM PE.

Just take it over to the copier, hit "Enlarge," and...

Seriously, an examination of the AMT 1/48 and Eduard goodies may help with the interior, wheel wells, etc.