[WIP] F-22 Raptor 1/32 (not Testors:))

artoor_k

Artur has exceeded his monthly bandwidth with Photobucket. Let's hope his reset date is soon!

Kev

Indeed. I've tried to extend bandwidth by pay for it via paypal but photobucket is accepting only credit card (I don't know why). I'm fighting with it. Maybe I will move to another hosting.

Hello,

Only a question today.

I couldn't find any clear photo of main gear. I wonder if this below is correct? It looks like a gear of a YF-22 not F-22.

F22Llg_zpshntcunrb.jpg

Not sure where this came from, but it's far from the real Raptor's gear. You need to get the Aerofax book on the "F-22". It has the most comprehensive coverage "Modeler" wise on the F-22. Also, if you can, use the 48th Academy F-22's gear as a reference to, as it's pretty close basic wise; ditto the Hasegawa F-22's gear.

Mike V

I think those wheels are first rate! But then they were made for the kit I'm working on. It is a pity (though an understandable financial decision) that some of our favorite A/C are left high and dry in aftermarket details or decent reference material.

At the end of the day - build what makes you happy. We all take some liberties here and there I expect?

I'm not working on a F-117 :) To be honest, I had a plan to use F-117 wheels as a F-22 wheels after some surgery but failed. Simply, my hobby shop won't get them as fast as I need. So I have to go with detailing of wheels that came with model.

I have an academy kit.

I can scan decals but won't be able to get to it for a week or so.

Week? It still makes a chance to finish my Raptor before march 13 :) If you can, it would be great :) Thanks a lot! :m0152:

Ah, I see. Yea, the F-117 Wheels aren't the same as the F-22. Since the the F-22 shares the same tire as the F-15E;

In 72nd, I don't think there's a decent AM F-15 wheels to source from.

There is a F-15 wheels in 1/32 but unfortunately, unavailable in Poland.

Anyway, I decided to try "kit" wheels and make'em similar to F-22 wheels. Result?

DSCN7739_zpsilaqpmfz.jpg

Also, when analyzing photos, I realized that the angle of "verticals" is wrong. I've add a styrene strip to make'em more tilted

DSCN7737_zps9zqufq6o.jpg

There is a F-15 wheels in 1/32 but unfortunately, unavailable in Poland.

Anyway, I decided to try "kit" wheels and make'em similar to F-22 wheels. Result?

DSCN7739_zpsilaqpmfz.jpg

Also, when analyzing photos, I realized that the angle of "verticals" is wrong. I've add a styrene strip to make'em more tilted

Yea, that toy wheel is just proportionally too far off to pass as an F-22 wheel. I would use an F-15E main and nose wheels, as at least proportionally, they will look right, though you'll have another problem with that overly chunky landing gear. What F-15 wheels are you referring too?

Here are some nice 32nd F-15E main wheels. I got a set a couple of weeks ago and though they have some sizing/proportional issues, the detail is well done: These are not user friendly for fitting to the Tamiya kit, but should not be a problem to bore out to fit the toy gear you're working with.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NorthStarModels-1-32-McDonnel-Douglas-F-15-Eagle-E-I-K-wheels-set-No-mask-/301355582750

These are "Part-R-Parts" 32nd F-15A/C wheels. These are pretty much resin cast version of the Revell F-15 wheels (mains), which are underscaled for 32nd and not as accurate as the Tamiya F-15C kit wheels. I wouldn't recommend them as they're underscaled, but they are probably the best bargain and more available,

http://partsrparts.homestead.com/f15parts.html

Here are the Contact Resine 32nd F-15C wheels. These essentially are resin copies of the Tamiya kit wheels. These would work too, though not sure of their current availability and they are expensive. 

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Rev1/901-1000/Rev972-CK32028/00.shtm

I would also post a request in the trader forums for anyone not using their Tamiya F-15E (or F-15C) wheels and make an offer.

In regards to the vertical tails; looking at my F-22 toy, the tails are somewhat under-scaled and too short. It's harder to tell since the entire toy is not proportionally right, as opposed to the later F-22 model kits. I'll look into a little more tonight. 

You also have a lot of trenches to fill, as there are very few panel lines on the Raptor and what little there are, are not that deep and wide. Keep pressing through, 

Thanks for your response :) Unfortunately budget collapsed after buying a set of missiles :( Now I can't afford any more add-ons for F-22. I hope that I'll buy AM wheels in nearest future :)

About panel lines...I don't know if I'll fill them because I have to finish F-22 before march 13. I don't know if I will have enough time to putty and sand whole airframe.