Brengun N1K2-J Shinden Kai etch cockpit set

Kagemusha

Hmmm. I wonder if I could pack that and a few other scraps into the cockpit of the Revell George. :hmmm:

John

I hadn't thought of that, though they were completely different aircraft, got one in the stash with various Rex bits and bobs.

Hmmm. I wonder if I could pack that and a few other scraps into the cockpit of the Revell George. :hmmm:

John

John, I was thinking the same thing...The left side of that cockpit looks VERY close to that of the N1K1 series.

I don't have enough references for this, yet, but I do have the Revell kit, thanks to one of our great fellow members. Given the size of the cockpit and it's visibility, some additional upgrades would be nice. I just haven't researched it far enough, yet.

As for the Hasegawa kit, I don't have one, yet. I was under the impression that it's pretty nice, straight OOB. Is this set worth getting, in that case? I know, to each their own and all that, but just curious to know the thoughts of those who own/have built it. I put both early and late Hasegawa kits on my Christmas wish list, so there's a chance I could end up with one really soon (and I'll eventually buy at least one in the future, anyway).

John

I just got the Hasegawa kit last week. This is my first opportunity to look at it closely... The IP is very well done (I think) The left side controls look pretty good, although the detail is a little soft in places. The right side is in this pic also...

DSCN04061_zps72679393.jpg

The IP differs from Rex to George to George...

Rex:

DSCN00191_zps18727195.jpg

Mid-wing George: 

DSCN00241_zps8355bda0.jpg

The Hasegawa kit has one of their best cockpits to date. I'm almost done with one and while any Nippon aftermarket is always welcome, you cant really see much anyway when its done. I think that the Mid wing George or even a Rex is the only logical choice for the next subject to be done by Hasegawa. Did anyone notice the sublte hint that Fine Molds gave when they issued their latest set of seatbelts...which by the way are the best belts on the market end of story. The detail has to be seen to be believed, I'll never use anything else.

http://www.plazajapan.com/copy-of-fine-molds-nh2-ww2-ijn-aircraft-seatbelt-set-1-32-scale-kit-1/

Thanks for the pics, Bill!

Brian,

I've been using Fine Molds Luftwaffe belts in a lot of builds over the last year. I have to say that I agree. I know that others have fabric this and that, actually latch, etc. However, I don't need a microscope and an engineering degree to paint/install the FM belts. I really like them, too. Worlds better than Eduard, for sure. I guess I didn't notice the "hint" by FM on the box, but we can remain hopeful!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

I have the SB Rex conversion as well as the Rev mid-wing George (which btw besides the raised details actually seems like a decent kit) ................the SB Rex conversion will DEFINITELY take some work, as the leading edge of the cowl is not the characteristic "knife edge" shape.

Its not beyond me, nor any modeler with average to better than average skills, but its going to be a LOT of work, and  full Has 1/32 Rex would be MOST welcome, and Id buy one in a heartbeat.

I think the cowl/spinner in the Scratchbuilders set is too small, I also have the Horizon conversion which I could do with checking...

It is Andy, but I always attributed that to some resin shrinkage. I figured you could block on some filler on the spinner and chuck it in a drill/lathe and turn it down to the correct shape.  Id be ALL OVER an IM Rex, that was good on shape.