SU25 Frogfoot A

karimb

Hi guys

Firstly thank you all for the kind comments

Harvey Wobblehead and Clark it will be scheme A then  :frantic: wooohooo

Kev thanks too lol the longest part of a build usually is the painting i like to take my time on it to get it right i hope so this time with the zabak scheme its quite challenging not just paintwise but to get the right colour too since i use tamiya. I already got the fs numbers for the paints now all i got to do is try to match them the closest possible.

Again sorry for the late a.m post its almost 1500 here. Been raining all morning and today i went to get my daughter from my ex its my turn in the week to spend some time with her (split the week in two lol) wooohooo... everytime she sees an airplane she says vvvvvv for avion in french (she loves airplanes i hope she wont want to be a career pilot like her father...i hope she chooses another path lol :piliot:  :doh: )

Anyways i had a moment so i went managed to slip to the "paintshop" and get some work done...

Painted the gear in rlm02 and some ancilliaries. I found out trumpeter instructions show you the gear door all open but in real life theyre not like that (i was thinking it was weird since you have a chance to get foreign object damage to the wheelwells) so while trawling the net yesterday for reference on the zabak paint scheme i noticed which gear doors had to be up shut and i will do that.

I found a nice picture of the aircraft in this livery and it looked pretty beat up and weathered so its going to be fun to paint it that way and not just factory finish special paint scheme. Ill post that photo below too.

I also painted the two part canopy same colour as the cockpit on the inside and then painted the whole aircraft with Mr Basewhite 1000 which is basically same as mr surfacer1200 but in white.

I used mr basewhite hopefully to be able to bring out the yellow and other colours pretty vibrantly (fingers crossed)

Ah yes and looking well at the reference photo i noticed chipping on the slats and on the vertical stabilizer so that will give me a chance to play around with some hairspray lol :whistle: 

Anyways below some photos...

IMG_20141018_121833_zps34214dd6.jpg

IMG_20141018_121851_zps006ac4a0.jpg

Above all ready for the primer. Trumpy calls for some of the doors on the main and nose lndg gear to be open but this is what it really looks like on the flightline

IMG_20141018_132623_zpsc5efd760.jpg

IMG_20141018_142549_zps7b068cea.jpg

Above primed white and with the slats, engine intakes and vert stab painted silver

2451_zps6513468f.jpg

Above the reference photo...it has been taken from the net at czechairspotters.com (copyright etc .... lol  :whistle: )

Anyways the menu for this afternoon will be all the preshading done and ill call it a day 

Tomorrow we start the serious painting on her wooohooo

Ill drop by for an evening post and some photos

Till then stay safe and happy modeling

Karim

:D  :P Loic ... demain le boulot serieux commence lol

Well good evening chaps...back with the evening update...nothing much to talk about here cept a few couple of things...

Firstly we got the model preshaded just regular flat black

Second for starters i figured out the first color out the batch ill have to use lol the rest im still unsure of...the grey color is supposed to be FS16440 which is gloss in real life... the closest estimation i have found is xf12 JN Gray because its light and has a hue to the grey that looks like the references... the dark green will be probably tamiya dark green, the lighter green will be a mix, the brown will be flat brown mixed with buff to lighten it up (i avoid adding white to lighten colors its like you were mixing every other color in the color spectrum with your base color! from what ive read somewhere...) and the yellow will be lemon yellow dead flat.

The plan tomorrow is at least to have the areas of grey color covered, probably work on the landing gear legs after lunch get the details painted and weathered and call it a day...We'll see how it goes. If i manage to have time in the morning after HS then gray then chipping, ill at least get the yellow layer on as those are the two biggest layers in terms of coverage. Sounds feasible we'll give it a shot i suppose...

Well im not going to bore you guys with my ramblings ,,, tomorrow ill update you lunchtime on how the first stages went along with pictures... just two photos tonight of the preshading nothing climactic lol :lol:  :lol:

IMG_20141018_184437_zps1460ecf0.jpg

IMG_20141018_184333_edit_zps9e5ff681.jpg

I hope this camo scheme is not going to get me cursing lol we'll see  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Tomorrow it is then

You gals and guys stay safe

and as always happy modeling

Karim

And an edit* i forgot to ask you guys...Eventually we give her pylons+the long thinggies that go boom slung underneath or just pylons like the reference shot?? give me your opinions please 

thanks  :bow:

See you all tomorrow 

Edited by karimb

Harv, Kev and John Good morning guys  :D

Thanks for the comments.

Well today we embarked on the painting stage number 1 lol

Got the bottom and half top painted with the gray. i reckon the choice i made for the gray turned out good its got this blueish weird tinge very slightly...im sure the photos dont show it well though

Got that done and got the yellow on 

now that was another story  :P coverage was very translucent so i had to spend a bit more than an hour coat after coat after coat till i got this result, the color matches well and i got it really flat... the preshading lines still show under the yellow more that the rest but we'll get that fixed after the rest of the camo has been on...

Well that the two biggest layers done with at least i got that off my back now lol

Im going to go grab a bite its pouring outside and come back ill start the three other colours in sequence... im still WORRIED about how im going to get the forward part of the aircraft camoed up ...the nose is going to need some headscratching to get it right 

Anyways below some photos nothing exciting just a quick update...

Ah yes i i did airbrush hairspray on the leading edges of the horiz stab, on the intakes and on the slats... ill attend to those after the camo is complete

I also plan on sealing everything and abrushing hairspray after and doing the camo inners faded and then chip the fading we'll see how it goes i suppose 

IMG_20141019_113244_zps1803c42f.jpg

IMG_20141019_113324_zpsa921dadc.jpg

IMG_20141019_131225_zps8ca500cc.jpg

Well there goes

Ill grab a bit get some more work done  and ill drop back in for an evening post i guess...

Till then stay safe and happy modeling gals and guys

Karim

Oliver thanks for your comment  :thumbsup:

Good Evening gals and guys...there goes the evening posting-

It was supposed to be a laid back afternoon shooting some green patches ... i even thought of taking the bike out for a ride for a bit when the weather cleared up. it never did. its been raining since the morning  <_< ...so i thought id plod on ...and plod on i did - BIG time - withing the limits set by time ( giving a shower to my daughter was the limiting factor...and my beginning of a headache :P )

We got ALOT of ground covered...basically we dressed her up completely today. ALL the camo...yes all of it. took me a whole day with a lunch break and playing with my daughter break and playing with my daughter again break and so on and so forth...

First of all i just want to give you guys a headsup it looks like the camo is done but its far from it... it looks too sterile. Plan for tomorrow is to go over all the camo patches with hairspray (after sealing all i did today with a coat of clear) and then paint them same color faded like the reference photo and get down with the chipping of the faded paint...in my mind's eye i think it will give it a little more zing down the road...when we get to finish that tomorrow we'll put down a filter...havent thought of which colour yet but i want it to be one of the colder colors like gray or some sort of very faint blue to tie it all together...but that still preliminary we'll see tomorrow what colour we'll pick....

You guys picked a HARD scheme for me... :huh: lol but its been nothing but great fun up to now (until i run into some sort of catastrophy where ill have to sand it all down again and restart....hopefully not  ^_^ )

I will be posting the tamiya colours and colour mixes i used btw for a simple reason being that i remembered when i bought this kit maybe a year back i went on the net to look if anyone had built it before as a work in progress to jot down notes on how the zabak scheme was painted (preferably catch some hints on tamiya paints used if any) and i found zilch nothing nada... so in putting them here i hope to be lending a hand to people that are in a similar situation as i was...

So the way i did it ...as per previous posts i started with the grey (JN gray xf12 if im not mistaken) the did the yellow which was Lemon yellow X8 to which i added flat base to get it really dead flat.

That done i pondered on whether airbrushing each color independently in its camo form in turn or do the whole thing together in one go ... well i did both actually

The nose section i found to be the hardest ...

The overriding color there are the camo colors and not the yellow...okay so having figured that out (basically i split the plane in two sections) i decided to separate the camo work for the top of the wings from the camo work on the nose section...

The wings i did blutack the camo design on and "filled the sections"....blutacked all the design as per painting reference then filled each section with its required color

The nose i blutacked the yellow camo i wanted to have remaing (blutack was used as a mask rather than a delimitation border) i used blutack rolled like spaghetti (photos below) and painted the remaining sections as per the callouts. The left side of the nose is not very accurate reference-wise as i got tangled and there were too many lines of tack to put down. The right side is supposed to be accurate as are the top of the wings. I missed two green patches on the rear sides of the fuselage but i put that down to being tired. Ill try to make them up tomorrow ill leave a post-it on the workbench tonight....

The dark green is tamiya deep green xf26 and the lighter green was a mic of tamiya deep green xf26 and tamiya light green x15 at a ratio of 1:1 and flat base added. The brown spots were a mix of tamiya flat brown xf10 and tamiya buff at a ratio of 7:3

For the camo i used the HG SF airbrush with the .2 nozzle as i didnt want to get any spilling with such a tight camo pattern. I did in a couple of places (i just remembered one i didnt cover, while writing this :doh: ) just a retouch of yellow next to the engine intake on the left side and some gray on the wing fences next to the airbrakes.. Finished that and i loaded up my brush with water to do the paint chipping. I chipped the slats down their lenght and the vertical stabilizer along with some chipping on the engine intakes and on the hot section of the engine on the bottom of the fuselage. The hot section chipping i will weather later on with heat staining of the aluminium paint underneath. 

Anyways, its been a fruitful day with the initial camo done. i can breath a sigh of relief as to be honest i was worried how it was all going to come out  :frantic:

Ill attach photos below on where we got...if they all fit in this post  :mental:

IMG_20141019_151241_zps78c2f514.jpg

IMG_20141019_155524_zps23187602.jpg

IMG_20141019_155547_zps939933cb.jpg

Above nose section blutacked and being painted

IMG_20141019_155853_zpsab5cf16b.jpg

Nose section after removing the blutack

IMG_20141019_162051_zpsb2bb8c4c.jpg

IMG_20141019_173130_zps2ef28113.jpg

IMG_20141019_164814_zpscb62e865.jpg

Above the wings blutacked and in the process of being painted (notice the ashtray i use as an airbrush cleaner  :mental:  :whistle:  loool looks like one doesnt it?)

IMG_20141019_181821_zps974934cf.jpg

IMG_20141019_182109_zps9234e917.jpg

IMG_20141019_182133_zps48817a5b.jpg

Above the finished camo

I hope you guys will give me comments on what i need to alter or modify... and comments whether good or bad im always glad to hear from everyone...

We got a big load off our shoulders today ill say the most time consuming and delicate work is to come yet...

I wish you guys a great Sunday

Im off to have a bite, Ill update you tomorrow lunchtime on how things are proceeding

until then, stay safe and happy modeling

Karim