Airfix 1/24 Typhoon cowlings after-market?

Motty

G'day All,

Just wondering whether there is any news or rumors out there about the possibility of some aftermarket cowlings being made for Airfix's new 1/24 Typhoon masterpiece?

Normally I'm one for depicting an aircraft all buttoned up and complete but, everything I've seen about this new beauty looks like I'll be hard pressed to decide between showing off that marvelous engine and radiator detail or covering it up with the cowlings on.

I'm a little surprised that Airfix didn't follow Tamiya's lead and provide removable cowlings as on the 1/32 Spit and Mustang.

Maybe something in thin resin?

Cheers,
Motty.

Been wondering about myself. Surprised that just didn't sacrifice a touch of accuracy and make the engine maybe a millimeter smaller, thus perhaps letting the cowling panels to fit over the completed engine.

Chuck

At least the top one I'm hoping, that can at least preserver a semblance of the finished lines of a buttoned up aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...

At least the top one I'm hoping, that can at least preserver a semblance of the finished lines of a buttoned up aircraft.

I have been working on mine and by glueing the three pieces of the top cowl together, then with some strategic scraping with a #10 blade, I was able to thin areas of the top cowl to get a perfect between the firewall and the plate in front of the coolant header tank, with all the engine accessories in place.

I believe it's enough to justify cutting off the wiring harness etc from the top of the engine. This was one of the topics raised at the Brett Green Frontline Hobbies afternoon when he described the build. Perhaps an etch metal cowl with correct framing may be an option.

It needs to be extremely thin basically to have any chance of fitting.

I have been working on mine and by glueing the three pieces of the top cowl together, then with some strategic scraping with a #10 blade, I was able to thin areas of the top cowl to get a perfect between the firewall and the plate in front of the coolant header tank, with all the engine accessories in place.

That sounds promising. I was wondering whether something like that might work but the kit has to be built before I could try it.

Many thanks for the news. Will you be trying a similar approach for other cowlings?

Easy just build one closed and one open!

Right. Like there's no cost and space issues there. Plus, the first hurdle is that, the way I've been lately, I'll be lucky if I ever build one, let a lone two!  :P

On a personal, good news front though, I finally picked one of these wonderful kits up at a great price locally last week. Very happy. :)

Cheers,

Motty.

Was it just the rear (for lack of a better term) "reinforcment band" structure of the top center cowl piece?

My goal would be to have one side and the top all buttoned up but have the 2 cowl parts above and below the exhaust stacks removed showing the side and some of the top of the engine.

Was it just the rear (for lack of a better term) "reinforcment band" structure of the top center cowl piece?

My goal would be to have one side and the top all buttoned up but have the 2 cowl parts above and below the exhaust stacks removed showing the side and some of the top of the engine.

No, the rear 'reinforcement band need to be there as that 'clips' the upper cowlings to the 'hooks'(?) on the firewall (actually the representation of the zsus fastners,)  I like the idea of one side of the engine being visible but once you cut off the fuselage side there is no way to securely hold that in place again.   I did a search for micro magnets and found 1/16 x 1/32 discs there may be some prospects in that

That sounds promising. I was wondering whether something like that might work but the kit has to be built before I could try it.

Many thanks for the news. Will you be trying a similar approach for other cowlings?

Right. Like there's no cost and space issues there. Plus, the first hurdle is that, the way I've been lately, I'll be lucky if I ever build one, let a lone two!  :P

On a personal, good news front though, I finally picked one of these wonderful kits up at a great price locally last week. Very happy. :)

Cheers,

Motty.

I might pick up some of those magnets at 1/16 x 1/32 they could easily be sunk into the cowlings and the coolant tank, a quick swipe with Mr surfacer 500 'to make it disappear' a couple partially sunk into the firewall......depending on how strong they were, that might work, hmm....