AM set for Airfix 1/24 Harrier GR.1?

Azgaron

I just got this old beauty in the mail

harrier_gr1_old_24th_box.jpg

What I know is that the tires are missing and by the looks of it, one of the covers for the outriggers.

Also the decals doesn't look the very best.

My idea is to write to Airfix support and see if they can help me with parts.

I also checked a bit for AM sets for this kit and I found Flightpath sets for GR.3 and FRS.1.

Pretty expensive though.

I also found some Heritage sets that might just give what I need (tires and gears), and maybe cockpit.

What I haven't found yet is decals, Is there any for this or the GR.3 kit?

I also like to hear what you guys think is the best option? 

What is the difference between the GR.1 and 3? and what do I need to do to convert the kit?

That's about all I think :)

Cheers,

HÃ¥kan

Actually, coming to think of it, I should refrase one question. Is it possible to use any of the GR 3 parts for the GR 1?

I think gears and tires wouldn't be any problem, and not airbrake either. What changes was made to the cockpit? (thinking mainly on Heritage parts here)

HÃ¥kan

Hi HÃ¥kan,

Just off the top of my head, I would imagine that there is near total similarity between the 2 variants. The GR.3 will have a radar warning receiver  and hand control from the LRMTS somewhere in the cockpit. From (ageing) memory, I think the former is on the right hand side of the IP and the latter is on the aft end of the left hand console. The Mk.9 seat was the same for both and the kit offering gives you a blank canvas from which to make a realistic one.

If you need to get tyres, it may well be worth considering the Heritage Aviation aftermarket set that was mastered by Nick Greenall. Certainly an improvement shape-wise to the overly square shouldered (and large) original offering.

I *think* that Flightpath does a GR.1 etch set and if not, their GR.3 set is extensive. If I recall correctly, Jennifer Wright used it in her exemplary GR.1 build many moons ago on Britmodeller.

Good luck with your build - GR.1s look fab!

Kirk

PS/ Found Jen's thread in "the other place" here. The Flightpath page is here.

Edited by Kirk