Yep another 1/32 Tamiya F-16. Misawa AFB

MrPRRose

A small update as I am pretty much stalled waiting for that grey paint to arrive in the post. I got to build up some subassemblies on this rainy day. Shot Alclad II grey primer/microfiller on seams and edges to check if I needed to do any more filling.

This Alclad filler is great stuff - provided it is thinned quite a bit since my airbrush is 0.3mm nozzle. I thinned it with Tamiya Lacquer thinner almost 1:1 and it went on beautifully, airbrush nice and close (2-3inches from the surface) and air pressure down to 12psi.

I was particularly impressed with how thinly and evenly it went down on tight areas like the moveable rudder inner leading edge - still allows full smooth movement and dries fast enough to paint both sides in the one session :)IMG_20140816_153915_zpsleek1ir3.jpg

Thanks Tom :)

Unusually Tamiya don't provide decals for the artificial horizon/altimeter/HSI and so I printed some from the net at a crazy scaled down size and applied the the instrument panel. They are so tiny that my poor laser printer hardly has the resolution for it but they add a splash of colour in the right place I think :) attached with a blob of Future.IMG_20140819_182812_zpsltwqoei5.jpg

Righto so the paint arrived in the mail yesterday, Mr.Color C308 and with high hopes of getting that light neutral slightly warm grey I gave it a go..

Disappointed :( it turned out much too 'blue'.

So I decided to start again, back to the hobby shop and picked up H315 as it just looked so much less blue than everything else I've tried. Great success!

While it looks a little green, so I mixed in 50/50 by weight of one of my previously lightened H306 batches and I'm really happy with it now. Who knows how 'accurate' it may be, since the FS numbers sure didn't work out, but as long as it look right hey? ;)IMG_20140823_134405_zpsfg9zwo7x.jpg

So Tom I would start with Aqueous Hobby Color H315 and tint slightly from there :) anyone want to buy 4x new jars (one jar had 0.5g removed for my test) of Mr.Color C308 for a low low price? ;)

IMG_20140823_135342_zpsfehh0p2u.jpg

Great progress. I haven't read every post so I'm not sure if anyone mention this...Testor colors has FS # right on the paint jar. Both in their acrylic or enamel. Just thought share that with you. It makes things much easier...for me at least ;)

G'day YoungTiger! Thankyou for mentioning that, sadly I have been using Mr.Hobby aqueous and lacquer and they also have the FS numbers on the jar..my problem is the end result looked so different to what they should, probably a combination of the primer I use etc.

This custom mix looks great to my eye ..which probably needs calibration!

So some time ago I ordered the Eduard photo-etch stencil mask set for the F-16 and today I gave it a go - wow I'm extremely impressed!!! I played around on an old Sea Hawk fuselage and spraying white Tamiya acrylic in 2 light coats gave a beautiful result. I will definitely be using all of these on my '16 come final detail time..IMG_20140831_140630_zpsodljalod.jpg