Going to D-Day 70th - in a 70 year old Piper L-4 Grasshopper!

Iain

Those para's were *very* different from the guys you see dressed up in period gear at shows, wandering about looking the part - but not flying etc..

They were - in the vast majority - either serving - or ex. serving airborne forces from a number of countries - and *all* there to jump. Amazing bunch of people...

All parachute drills were as 1944 - and all were read Eisenhower's address to the troops before embarking on the C-47s for France.

All jumping with period round chutes as well - members of The Round Canopy Parachute Team.

They marched from the airfield about a mile to the sea front remembrance service on Tuesday night.

Unfortunately - because of insurance/permissions the event was closed to the public - but there were veterans present and many of the locals that supported the event were invited on also. Did mean that there were great photo opportunities without too many people about (especially in modern dress).

Did I mention - 190 local families opened their doors to accommodate aircrew/parachutists - and they laid on an evening reception for us on Tuesday. Huge thank you to the people of Lee-on-Solent - and to the lovely family that looked after me - and both of us on a second night after the high winds on Wed.

We also had the offer of accommodation/transport on the French side. The amount of good will astounding.

A lot of new friends made.

Did you spot the Canadian guys?  :)

Iain

Lots of cool pics once again!! Thanks for posting.

Hate to dispell the romantic notions of the previous poster but jumping like this(if they did it like a mass tactical jump is done) is not much fun a'tall.

When ever we jumped it was about 12 hours of rigorous work for us jumpmasters to get the stick ready as per SOP. There is no"skydiving" as a mass tac requires everybody to be as close as possible once you hit the ground. You are after all,a combat unit and the airplane and parachute are just a means to get you to the battlefield.

There for almost all of out practice jumps(and my one paltry combat jump) were done at night at 800ft above ground level. You are in the air for about 15 seconds and the chute opens with a static line. No free falling as you can't have several hundred guys flying around the night sky.

My combat jump was at 500ft above ground so there was really no purpose for the reserve chute as there would be no time to use it if the main didn't inflate!

All that being said,yes....I would love to jump with that old timer as well!

J

All done 'by the book' Jerry - as close to the jumps done in '44 - and, yes - all static line.

You'd have felt right at home with these guys Jerry!

Talking to them, and seeing them interact with each other, they are a close knit, modern day, 'band of brothers' - whatever country they come from. To say I was impressed would be a major understatement.

Iain

Iain, i think you made a wise decision to "abort" the crossing, but thanks very much for letting us enjoy all those marvelous pictures, good show.

Jack.

All done 'by the book' Jerry - as close to the jumps done in '44 - and, yes - all static line.

You'd have felt right at home with these guys Jerry!

Talking to them, and seeing them interact with each other, they are a close knit, modern day, 'band of brothers' - whatever country they come from. To say I was impressed would be a major understatement.

Iain

Excellent!! Nice to know.  As you may tell,I am very envious of you and getting to be there. I was at the American Cemetery in Normandy back in the 70s. I also got to see a bunch of the other stuff.St Mere Aglise,Pont du Hoc,etc. and was thoroughly awestruck by it all.

I very narrowly missed out on jumping in Normandy for the 40th anniversary event with the Abn Bn in Italy. I don't know if the Paras even participate any more in that kind of event.

It always gives me a warm and fuzzy knowing our British Allies are still with us after all these years.

J

Majority of the guys in the photos are from the US Jerry - and a fair number currently serving - which is great to see...

There were a few guys in black outfits from US Army - Golden Knights?

At some point (and quieter winds) - we'll probably try to take the L-4 down the Atlantic coast to the Normandy beaches and visit a few places en-route.

Whole area around Cean/Cherbourg locked down last week - but we had permissions to get over there in the Piper because of her historic status.

Iain