1/32 Tamiya P-51D Early, Cripes A'Mighty 3rd June 1944.

Maurice

Maurice,

Lovely work thus far. I'm anxious to see how you finish the wings. Keep in mind, while the wings are aluminized lacquer, the area that which covers the wing fuel cells, on the bottom of the wing, should be natural metal. Of course, how you finish is decidedly your call.

Just the same, I look forward to your next update.

Cheers

Geoff

Thank you guys for checking in.

Geoff, youre right wings were painted that way due to diferent coats of primer and putty. I was expecting to finish them simply with AS-12,  the NMF portion of the wing is the outer wing (elevators) and little portion of the wing root before wing to fuselage fairing (Not much though).  Fabric control surfaces with alclad dull aluminum what do you think. The fuselage sections will be finished with alclad polished al or airframe al more shine finish.

Thank you for the heads up.

Cheers

Edited by Maurice

Maurice,

I've never used Alclad so I have no knowledge of what they look like. I will say this, there is a considerable visual difference between natural aluminum and a doped fabric surface. I would use an enamel or lacquer to finish fabric surfaces. It is of course your call.

I'm a bit confused by your comment about how the wing was finished. I'll say again, the entire wing is finished with aluminized lacquer with the exception of the flight control surfaces (flaps and ailerons)and the two areas on the bottom of the wing which cover the fuel cells. There is nothing left unpainted other than these three items.

It will look odd, but it's the way things were during original production. We've seen it done for so long based on the builders fancy, the real thing seems to have been lost.

Here's a question...Is that the only spinner supplied in the kit? I ask because the spinner pictured in your posting was used with the Aero Products prop and not the cuffed Hamilton Standard.

HTH

Cheers

Geoff

Edited by Ironwing

Is the Tamiya AS-12 considered as aluminized lacquer?. If not then what paint brand do you sugest other than enamel.  

Regarding my comment on the wing finish, I was making reference to the Michael O'Leary book Building the P-51 Mustang. He mentions the use of primers an putty before applying final aluminized paint.

Yes it's the only spiner the kit contains.

Thank you.

Edited by Maurice

Is the Tamiya AS-12 considered as aluminized lacquer?. If not then what paint brand do you sugest other than enamel.  

Regarding my comment on the wing finish, I was making reference to the Michael O'Leary book Building the P-51 Mustang. He mentions the use of primers an putty before applying final aluminized paint.

Yes it's the only spiner the kit contains.

Thank you.

Maurice,

I've always used Floquil paint. I'm just now beginning to delve into other manufacturers since Floquil is cutting back there line so I have much learning to do in this area. No doubt you're smarter about it than I am so you have the lead. I'm interested to see how it comes out. A fellow I know would paint different areas of the surface using different under coats, ie black, white, gray, brown, etc and then apply mist coasts of very thinned aluminum lacquer. The result being a very nice panel effect without having to go through all the masking. Just some food for thought.

Mr O'Leary is not incorrect in his information. However, if he stated there is a natural metal area on the wing, other than the flight control surfaces and the lower wing surface which covers the fuel cells, he's dead wrong.

The finish spec on the wing calls for putty and prime to all rivets and all panel splits, with the exception of the area on the leading edge just in front of the main gear struts which serves as the access point for the gear assembly and of course the gun bay access lines. This putty and prime extended back to the forty (40%) percent cord line and the entire wing is painted. Also, the wing tips were removed for shipment of the wing overseas. When reinstalled, often times there was no putting of the join line or rivets. Aerodynamically it made no difference since the line between the wing and it's tip was parallel with airflow over the wing and caused no disruption of the boundary layer airflow.

This argument has raged ad nauseum. Clearly, the putty and prime spec was adhered to. In studying many NAA period production photos, (not restored war birds) taken at different angles of incidence, there would seem to be no evidence of any surface detail on the wing. I would imagine, since the wing is flush riveted, once the primer goes on, and then the aluminized lacquer, there is nothing to be seen in terms of surface detail. Again, your call.

I'm surprised Tamiya chose to supply a spinner that is just wrong for for the Hamilton Standard Cuffed Prop. The prop shank aperture for the HS cuffed prop has the peanut opening to clear the bottom of the cuff when it rotates. The spinner supplied is for the Aero Products blade which is cuffless and inappropriate for combat Mustangs.

Having fun yet? :)

Maurice,

I've always used Floquil paint. I'm just now beginning to delve into other manufacturers since Floquil is cutting back there line so I have much learning to do in this area. No doubt you're smarter about it than I am so you have the lead. I'm interested to see how it comes out. A fellow I know would paint different areas of the surface using different under coats, ie black, white, gray, brown, etc and then apply mist coasts of very thinned aluminum lacquer. The result being a very nice panel effect without having to go through all the masking. Just some food for thought.

Did your fellow masked the panels to paint different undercoats ? Just curious about how much masking tape he saved.

Edited by Maurice

Did your fellow masked the panels to paint different undercoats ? Just curious about how much masking tape he saved.

He would first rough spray the areas he want the lightest colors and begin to mask the lighter colors as he moved to darker colors. Never asked or even considered how much tape he saved.

• 3 weeks later...

After that lovely Spitfire my Mojo is back big time. Now I'm going back to my Cripes A' Mighty 3rd. Wings as per manufacturing specs were painted with a metallic finish lacquer so I masked off wing panels excluding flaps, elevators and lower fuel cells covers which where naturalized aluminium (Thank you Geoff).  Then sprayed AS-12 over. Then I masked such surfaces off and primed flaps, elevators, lower fuel cells covers, Hstab and fuselage with Alclad II black primer. Then polished with grit 2000 and then 4000. Finally buffed and cleaned with cotton cloth.

Surfaces where D-Day stripes will be painted over where not polished as much as the rest of surfaces so paint can adhere better. I decided to scrap D-Day stripes and start all over again with NMF process. Stripes will be painet over later on.

12270207035_2c68f4c21d_z.jpg

12814931633_4cf8b74d2c_z.jpg

12815253144_3e4a134b08_z.jpg

12814820635_44c8e603db_z.jpg

12814814015_ca45a67595_z.jpg

12814881223_b4483a1957_z.jpg

12814878033_d8e793d2df_z.jpg

12814792285_edee1e91d8_z.jpg

12815199444_fe58715ab4_z.jpg

12814869713_1cf5d7e69c_z.jpg

Edited by Maurice

Guest Peterpools

Maurice

Great to see you back working on the Mustang. Super work on the Silver lacquer wings - they sure look good and the black base has you ready for the Alclad NMF. Can't wait for the next update.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Here first results after spraying different shades of AS-12 and Alclad II Polished aluminum and dark aluminum. The panel surrounding the exhaust shroud was sprayed with dark aluminum, the contrast was so subtle that I over sprayed a very thin coat of X-18 Semi gloss black. 

12821273235_37400e35dc_z.jpg

12821270505_d3770765f5_z.jpg

12821259975_0cbab2b0ce_z.jpg

12821257175_930d0c3079_z.jpg

12821253585_763890fdba_z.jpg

12821323383_74ea42a155_z.jpg

12821319653_9a9a0e4b19_z.jpg

12821235645_a02defc4c7_z.jpg

12821304623_57063ed578_z.jpg

12821632694_f106dcc29b_z.jpg