2014 New Project

TimW

I like those 40mm tubs, they look real cool. The Iowa class were such beautiful designs.

Indeed.  In fact, the 14 or so 40mm positions, plus 56 x 20mm positions, are going to take A LOT of time.   Quite a contrast with the previous generation of BBs.  I built the Arizona kit a few years ago and I think it has a grand total of 4-6 .50 Cal MGs mounted on the mast platforms.  Gun tubs were added, but no guns were present on December 7.

The Iowas, on the other hand, have all that AAA and 10 x double 5" x 38 turrets plus the 3 x 16" main gun turrets.  

More pix to come!

Tim W.

Yep, AA all over the place on the Iowa class, and still some of those crazy Japanese pilots got through;.. amazing.

I'm going to ding up the 40mm tub that was hit by the Kamikaze, too.  Scratched the paint a bit.

http://i0.wp.com/www.defensemedianetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/USS-Missouri-Kamikaze.jpg?fit=1280%2C9999

• 4 months later...

Believe it or not....I have made progress on this beast!  But I find it's best digested in smaller chunks.

Here's the aft 16" turret, with the Quad 40s finally installed.

IMG_20151129_205533483_zpsy9jeuyse.jpg

Some close ups of assorted armament.   This is the starboard, aft dual 5" gun.  The portside ones are done...finally tackling the remainder!

IMG_20151129_205417383_TOP_zpsj9mbwl8q.j

Close up of the dual 40 mount.  I still have to add the baskets to the back end of the turret in this one.

[IMG_20151129_094952887_zpsbue9pezk.jpg

This'll be done someday.  After all, I can't start the 1/200th HMS Nelson until I'm done!

:mental:

Cheers, 

Tim W.

Yep, just kidding, Tim.

I'm sure there's an AM resin or brass .30 or .50 gun barrel out there somewhere, right?   :whistle:

Finished two more of the turrets, for a total of 3.  Only 2 to go and all the dual 5" guns will be done.

Then I can get back to the 6 or 8 quad 40 mounts I still have to do....could be more than that, actually.   :o

Tim W

Before Trumpeter started with their 1/200th kits, the only ship I had built was the old Revell 1/96 CSS Alabama.  Figured I was pretty much done with ships at that point, but nooooooooooooo.....

Tim W.