modelmaster acrylics?

Zero77

Hi,

have anybody tried the acrylic range of paint from modelmaster? 

Lacquers and enamel are now almost impossible to bring overseas, since postal service do not want them anymore in any aircraft. So i wonder if their acrylics could be a good replacement.

Edited by Zero77

Hi,

have anybody tried the acrylic range of paint from modelmaster?

Lacquers and enamel are now almost impossible to bring overseas, since postal service do not want them anymore in any aircraft. So i wonder if their acrylics could be a good replacement.

Yes. They are not bad. MM is one of the lines of paint I seem to have ready access to at any time via my LHS. The MM line of acrylics seams to be good paint, as I use it for what I use all acrylics for; pilots, interiors and overall detail and weathering, as I find them too delicate and susceptible for normal overall air-frame painting.

I cant say that the MM acrylics are any better than Tamiyas bottles of acrylics, except to say MMs acrylic paints seem to blend a bit better than Tams, but overall, work very similar.  I just find the particulate to be a bit finer in enamels, so that is pretty much what I stick to. but as acrylics go, they are pretty decent.

Guest Peterpools

I've used both Tamiya and MM acrylics quite some time and favor Tamiya just a bit, as I prefer the way they shoot. MM does have a much more extensive range of colors but Tamiya is king of the hill with their bottles and lids as compared to MM. Recently. I have been switching back to MM ENAMELS for the exterior painting as they they lay down a much finer "skin", with  acrylics being used for the interior work.

Thanks for your report.

Yes enamels are often better for overall exterior paintjobs, but they are a pain to get here in Europe, except for Humbrol, that is still available but with some new formula (because of environment and health restriction) that many modellers do not consider as good as before.

I have tried by the past some mr color lacquers and these paints are great, very good coverage, full range of colors, very tough once cured, but i had to order them in the US or Japan, and now it is almost imposible to get some with the new shipping restrictions.

So in Europe, acrylics are mostly used by modellers as they are almost the only choice.

In my opinion, the best acrylics are gunze aqueous hobby color, there is a great range of colors, they are tough, and dry quite fast. But there are some colors (few)  that do not cover at all.

Guest Peterpools

Well said and I'm afraid the same will eventually happen here in the states as well. MM and Tamiya acrylics are by far the easiest to purchase on this side of the pond. I just wish MM would look at Tamiya's bottles and do the same. including the labeling. I guess it's pretty apparent my hangup with MM paints is the bottle, lids and labels; the paint itself is excellent.

Peter

Heck, I'm going to order paint overseas, fo sho. For the postage alone I could probably get the same by a different manufacturer... :mental:

...enamel isn't a problem for me, two of the three online shops I use have them in stock.

I've been using a lot of the Vallejo Air acrylics on my build of the HK B-25J glass nose. First time I've ever used acrylics for model building in nearly 45 years. They are great in the airbrush and seem to be pretty good overall.

-Ro

I've been using a lot of the Vallejo Air acrylics on my build of the HK B-25J glass nose. First time I've ever used acrylics for model building in nearly 45 years. They are great in the airbrush and seem to be pretty good overall.

-Ro

Ro,

If you thinned them what did you use?

Mike Horina

The Model Master Acryl line has improved in quality over the years since Jennings threw his away, particularly in regards to adhedsion to bare plastic.  Since Polly Scale is no longer manufactured, the Testor line is frequently the only line a hobby shop in the US will carry.  I have been using them for over a decade for all my models and have become used to their characteristics.  Yes, an acrylic paint will get paint build-up on the tip of an airbrush more readily than an enamel paint.  I have a Q-tip soaked with thinner ready when I spray and give the tip a swab every five minutes or so of spraying.  I also use Testors' thinner designed for the paint, with a 80% paint / 20% thinner ratio going through my Iwata Eclipse SBS airbrush.  I don't prime my models, but I do use low-tack masking tape (called drafting tape) and rarely have an issue with the acrylic paint pulling up off the model.

Enamels are superior -- no question about it.  But I find that painting with the Testors Acryl line of paints works very well for me and the variety of colors meets all of my needs.  I understand everyone loves Tamiya paints, but as a modeler of US aircraft mostly, the requirement to mix paint colors to get what I need with Tamiya isn't worth the trouble -- at least not to me.

Lee K

Ro,

Mike Horina

I'm not Rowen, but I had good results with either their own airbrush thinner or a window cleaner like Windex.

Ro,

Mike Horina

Mike,

The Vallejo Air paints are made for direct use in airbrushing. I don't thin them at all. They work really well. I'm using an Iwata HP-C and an HP-C+ and usually spray at 15-20psi. Note that Sprue Bros. carries this entire line.

I have only used the regular Vallejo paints a few times so far. I've thinned them with their airbrush thinner about 50/50.

-Ro

Heck, I'm going to order paint overseas, fo sho. For the postage alone I could probably get the same by a different manufacturer... :mental:

...enamel isn't a problem for me, two of the three online shops I use have them in stock.

True if you only order paint, but if you made a whole order with kits, AM and so on, a few additional bottles of paint wont change much to the postage cost. I used to buy my alclads at hannants, whan they were shipping lacquers overseas.