TAMIYA P-51D OLD CROW: UPDATE 1/4/14: FINISHED & IN THE BOOK

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Brian

Tired a few new tricks and all worked out well. Amazed myself that the chrome worked so well without any mess or fuss.

Peter

Hi Peter 

I have to confess The P 51 is not my favorite plane , maybe I 'm alone in this case .But finally I glance at yours , and I say WOW , what a nice work you did  here !!!!!!, It look fantastic , I like the way you treated the cockpit and the radio compartment with all these cables and tiny details , If I dare to say , " I stay nailed one my chair " . You will finally reconcile it with me . Go ahead , I stay plugged

bye Alain  

Hi Peter, is nice to see some one doing the same airplane as the one i am finishing the OLD CROW, mine is almost done, i am doing it in bare metal finish, as soon is done i will upload some pictures of it, i called the ALCLAD monster because all the alclad i used, yours look magnificent.

Best regards

Jorge

Edited by oppenheimer

Guest Peterpools

Alain

Thank you for the very kind words with my progress on Old Crow. I'm not a super detailer but like to enhance my models with after market products. Every once in a while I'll break my un-written rule and add some bits and pieces to bring a bit more life to what I'm working on.

Peter

Guest Peterpools

Jorge

Very much appreciate the kind words. I know what you mean about the Alclad Monster and I'm not to far from starting think about the NMF.

On your P-51, how did you handle the 'wing issue'? Looking forward to seeing your "Old Crow" in the Ready for Inspection Forum when you roll her out the hanger door.

Peter

Peter, what do you mean with the wing issue???, i am building mine in modules, example, the wing are done, fuselage done, but they are not glued on yet, the fitting is perfect so you can build it the way i am doing it, mine will be all closedup, the engine and the machine guns will go to the other half of my proyect that will be a XXX mustang, it will be undressed, skin off, just the structure, both will seat together in a base, so all the inseide will be seen in one and the other one will show you the way it look all closedup.

tomorrow i will take i picture of what i have done so far

Edited by oppenheimer

Guest Peterpools

Jorge

Sorry for not being clear. The only wing issue is what the wing finish will be;

NMF or rivets filled in and the wing paint painted.

I'm leaning towards the filled in and painted wing finish.

Looking forward to your photos tomorrow

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

well, if you fill the rivets and paint the wing silver as the mustang came out from factory is fine, and if you leave all the rivets visible and paint the wing NMF is correct too, because by the end of the war on most mustang they removed all the cover on the wings and that is why they look bare metal, so either way you do it will be fine, too bad that the only original picture from OLD CROW you can see the wing, but if you go to BUD ANDERSON personal site you will find that the plane after they removed the olive drab paint they left it bare metal.

See you tomorrow i am signing out for today

PD: sorry for my english, is not my native language, and in mine you will see all the rivets on the wing

Edited by oppenheimer

Hi Peter 

you know , if resin parts exist , why go without them ?  , they were made to make our life easiest ...No ??? . something about wings.maybe you already know this ? clear part are painted , darker parts are natural metal finish . Sorry if I mess up the post

bye Alain  

MustangWingFinish_zps0bdec3a2.jpg

Edited by alain11

Guest Peterpools

Alain

Absolutely my philosophy on detailing and building. Thanks for the wing layout. I already have it in my research data and  appreciate your forwarding it it just the same.

Thanks

Peter

Guest Peterpools

UPDATE: 11/9/13 WHEEL WELLS

Just a quick update; the basic wheel well assembly went together with no fuss or problems at all. Not being a big proponent of detailing wheel wells, the only additions to the assembly was some Eduard PE for enhancing the main spar/backwall, a few pistons rods and other then that, I went as per the kit. The center wheel well doors are not added at this time, but care needs to be taken that the assembly will fit later on; so a removed quite a bit of the paint from the locating faces. Tamiya went for the record with injector pin marks in the wheel well assembly and a lot of time needed to be devoted to removing them; they were everywhere! Te instructions call out for the wheel wells to be painted Green Zinc Chromate, the majority of Mustangs left the factory with the wheels wells finished in Yellow Zinc Chromate. One beautiful point to mention in building Mustangs, there are what seems an unlimited venue fr color controversies, thought the aircraft; so it's each to his own.

Light weathering was accomplished with an oil pin wash of burnt umber and lamp black.

Thanks for checking in

Peter

The unpainted spar with Edard PE details

PCW_4348_zps68c4a39e.jpg

PCW_4349_zps844db0df.jpg

Painted and weathered

PCW_4352_zps3cade1b9.jpg

PCW_4358_zps6153e8a4.jpg[/

PCW_4359_zps95a6bc86.jpg

Edited by Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

Hakan

Thanks so much. So far, the kit has been a dream to build and if it wasn't for all the injector pin marks in the wheel wells, Tamiya would have come close to a perfect kit.

Peter

This shure looks good, i like it :D and the weathering, looks great that wash (tinted redbrown) wery effective and it looks so right in my eyes, im enjoying your bird beeing build and a thread that got some action in it , all the progress coming.

I know wht you mean about eject pin marks all over the place,

oh my......im done with them myself....shure took a while haha

so keep em coming

/Mal