Flying Pancake scheme, opinions sought

IBuildEmBig

Hi all,

I am currently building the Planet Models 1/32 Flying Pancake resin kit.  I'm pretty sure I'll finish it in a what-if or some kind of fantasy scheme, and probably have custom decals printed.  So far I have these two related ideas, and would like to hear your opinions on them.

1) What-if USN scheme.  It will be painted in polished aluminum.  On the top side of the pancake (where people on the ground won't see when it's airborne), it has a large post-war nat insignia and "NAVY" on it.  On the bottom side (where people on the ground will see), it has a large set of con-centric green circles that covers almost the entire bottom surface.  The purpose of these circles is to create the illusion that it is a flying saucer from Mars, thus confusing the populace and Soviet spies into thinking it's extra-terrestrial.  It'll also have Marvin the Martian as a nose art, just for fun.

2) Marvin the Martian's personal ride scheme.  This is obviously the fun one, and also will be polished aluminum.  It'll also have the con-centric circles on the bottom, with Marvin's mug right in the center.  Instead of the NAVY and insignia on the top, it'll have some silly quotes from the man/martian himself.  Something along of the lines of "you make me very very angry".  There'll be the same nose art, and also some martian roundels.

What do you think?

Thank you,

Terry

Edited by IBuildEmBig

I happen to like Bugs on the side of the blue one, and it is pretty amazing that they appear to have actually used that.

However, I like the Martian roundels. Do you go green or red? There have to be three of them in a triangle don't there?

Maybe select Dejah Thoris or Thuvia instead of Marvin for the nose art? That has to be some amazing nose art, as she was described by Edgar Rice Burroughs as "the most beautiful woman on three planets". The "John Carter of Mars" movie didn't match the books, unfortunately, but few movies do.

In the end, ignore what we say and just have as much fun as absolutely possible.

Tnarg

This is my current project as well.

I personally am finishing it OOB because I have no DSB Navy birds in my display case, and I like the wooden props too.

I think if you want a cool looking "what it" you could always do it in the prototye scheme that never was "actually" built, but did have a cool 1:1 mock up.

Navy blue/gray w/cool looking gun ports too:

6056442956_68c2f6846a_b.jpg

6056443084_98e0cc95e0_b.jpg

Edited by Out2gtcha