Planet Models XF5U-1 Flying Pancake

IBuildEmBig

So here's what I'm building after finishing the Fisher Skyray:

IMG_4073_zps6b7ddca9.jpg

The kit has a small number of parts.  Basically just the top and bottom fuselage "pancakes", an ok cockpit, control surfaces, and metal landing gears.  I'll build this thing out of the box.  The canopy may or may not be opened.

As for the paint scheme, I find the real life dark blue scheme of the prototype kind of boring.  I am leaning strongly towards some kind of fantasy, or steampunk based  natural metal scheme.  I haven't decided exactly how it'll look like yet.

So how does the kit fit?  Well, it's not Fisher kit, but it's on par with most other resin kits out there - which is anywhere from horrendous to so-so if you're used to building plastic kits.

IMG_4074_zps8064f042.jpg

The first order of business is to fit this chip or short shot on one of the engine intakes.  I'll probably use a combination of plastic card and CA glue and epoxy.

IMG_4075_zpsbfbf8a08.jpg

More to come later.

Terry

Cool! this is my current project as well in the ABIM GB.  I agree on the fit and overall quality. Very decent.

FYI, if you havnt already looked at it, I would HIGHLY recommend doing something about the very lack luster and extremely delicate proposed mounting of the giant props. The props IMHO are nicely molded but as my copy did not have the nick in the intake,  mine did have some minor bubbles in the prop blades.  PMs "mounting" of the props would have you apparently glue the spinner directly to the face/hub and the protruding bolt heads that stick out of the geared hub ends. Horribly delicate arrangement at best.

Will be following along to see if we hit same/similar snags!