I joined the Corsair Clan

pzcreations

Nice work so far! This kit really does look the biz! Thats cool that they even give you the scale looking splines on the prop hub too.

I do like the birdcage, and I really cant wait to see what future versions Tamiya brings out with this one!

Wow, that really does look quite amazing!

I have to say the gear really blows my mind, but I really wonder why they put the oleo struts so sooooo compressed?

I'm not the worlds foremost Corsair expert but seems it might look a bit better from Tamiya's perspective to extend them a bit. :hmmm:

From building the kit, would you say there is any clean (or even possible) way to cut the scissor links, and drill out/replace the oleo?

After looking at the mess-of-a-Trumpy Corsair cowl, and seeing how nice the LSP cowl is, that cowl really looks fantastic btw.........

Edited by Out2gtcha

Love it, I don't know what was used in this build but I used Mr. Color 301, which looks very similar to this green.

This is the third 1/32.Tamiya Birdcage build (mine included), where I have seen the builder using a shade for dark dull green. Most are still using interior green.

Correction, I used Mr. Color 302.

Brian, I think that scissor part might be fixable ..it comes in two halves, a left and right side..but I still think it could be made to extend if you wanted..but it'll take some work...about like taking an 'A' ,splicing it to make it wider

Im in no way a Corsair fan, and have very little reference on it..but looking at this one at an air show looks compressed,if not more so than Tamiyas rendition

http://www.arcair.com/awa01/101-200/awa136-Corsair/00.shtm

Edited by pzcreations

Wow, that really does look quite amazing!

I have to say the gear really blows my mind, but I really wonder why they put the oleo struts so sooooo compressed?

I'm not the worlds foremost Corsair expert but seems it might look a bit better from Tamiya's perspective to extend them a bit. :hmmm:

From building the kit, would you say there is any clean (or even possible) way to cut the scissor links, and drill out/replace the oleo?

After looking at the mess-of-a-Trumpy Corsair cowl, and seeing how nice the LSP cowl is, that cowl really looks fantastic btw.........

In reality Tamiya Has the struts for the corsair close to spot on the struts were quite compressed on the real birds all my reference photos show them that way.

good job on the old bird.

Cheers Murph...

Wow, it does appear you guys are right.

I guess Im just used to thinking of most oleos more un-compressed than the look Tamiya gives you. From the ref photos you put up, looks like Tam got it right!

Just goes to show what I know............... ( Very little about Corsairs apparently! )

My pleasure on the compliment and I can tell you have taken a lot of time doing it.

I don't want to say inaccurate because what you have may have been in a Corsair that I have not seen. Some examples are like the shroud on top of the instrument panel - should that be glass for the gunsight? Also, the headrest is not a shape I have seen on any Corsair but as I noted I'm sure I have missed some.

I'm a bit of a nut for Corsairs - I started a website because I wanted one place to look for info.The site is f4ucorsair.freeforums.org if anyone wants to check it out.

Robin, the Tamiya kit represents the F4U-1 version that had a "Floorless" cockpit with troughs that the pilot's feet rode in. It wasn't until the F4U-4 series and subsequent that a floor was added making the Corsair cockpit look more "Normal".

Believe me, the Tamiya cockpit is authentic.

david