Tamiya Corsair " VMF 214 "

DMurph

Hi Don,

Thanks for the nice comment Tamiya does call out a mix for the salmon color I used a mix of two parts red one part white and added a touch of brown and a bit of black very small amount and then adjust to that.

Now on the real deal this was red primer mixed with Yellow Zink Chromate so you could experiment with that shade too.

Cheers Murph...

Guest Nigelr32

Great Job on the Corsair Murph. I really do like your style of weathering/accentuating the detail.

I would like to ask, what exactly is the correct colour for the birdcage cockpit? I've heard mention of Bronze green, Zinc chromate yet on the side of my box the painted cockpit looks positively blue??

I find model Master sink chromate is accurate as it is a federal stock color later model corsairs had black but the build on the side of the tamiya box is so far off it is shameful.

Great Job on the Corsair Murph. I really do like your style of weathering/accentuating the detail.

I would like to ask, what exactly is the correct colour for the birdcage cockpit? I've heard mention of Bronze green, Zinc chromate yet on the side of my box the painted cockpit looks positively blue??

Nige, based on precedent and evidence from the Lake Michigan Corsair, Dark Green, FS 34092, is a very close match for a Vought Corsair. Not much is known about Brewster or Goodyear cockpit colours, but my guess is Brewster followed the Vought standard, and Goodyear delivered its first Corsairs late enough that Interior Green may have gone into use.

HTH,

david

One more update for the Corsair. I did a bit of engine work tonight, I was going to go wild on this but decided to keep it simple. I wanted to just add some small wiring detail not all of it just enough to make it look a bit better. So here it is.

IMG_7240_640.jpg

IMG_7241_640.jpg

Cheers Murph...

Murph, it looks great. If you haven't gotten this far yet, MM non buffing aluminum, applied over gloss black works very well for the stainless steel "Dishpan" behind the engine. Also the cowling nose bowl attachment ring fits perfectly. The secret seems to be keeping paint off of the mating surfaces. Wicked close tolerances engineered into this kit.

-d-

So just a bit more detail work tonight as I'm going to build this kit to display the engine I wanted to add some panel fastener receptacle detail. I like it. I also want to depict this Corsair as an bird that came from the factory with basic primer applied to the inner cowling ring. Once again I like it needs more weathering to it but it looks better in person.

IMG_7243_640.jpg

IMG_7246_640.jpg

IMG_7245_640.jpg

IMG_7244_640.jpg

Cheers Murph...