Tamiya P-51 Petie 3rd

Aircav1980

Well I could not resist I enjoyed my build Big Beautiful Doll so much I have started building another Tamiya P-51. This may not even be my last. I am doing thing a little different with this one. I am going to use all three parts of Barracuda Studios resin cockpit. I am also going to use a set of HGW Seatbelts. I have decided to build John Meyer's Petie 3rd. It was quite difficult to find a set of decals Petie 3rd but thanks to a very generous LSP member (Thanks Paul) I got my hands on a set. The kit comes with Petie 2nd but I much prefer Petie 3rd. Petie 3rd was the plane Meyer flew during the big New Years Day battle of Y-29 were he shot down a FW190 before his landing gear were all the way up. This plane saw a great deal more combat than Petie 2nd. Besides that I like the black stripes on the tail and wings and blue rudder. I think it makes for a much sharper looking airplane. I have been doing extensive research on Petie 3rd. I have been able to obtain some very helpful photos of her in theater thanks to Sam from the 352nd Fighter Group Association. He has also helped me with matching the blue color and he has given me some specifics on Petie 3rd.

That being said I would like to start my build log with a precautionary tale for anyone who cares to listen. This being my second build of this kit I made a cardinal mistake of not reading the directions carefully. Let me explain. During step 3 of the instruction you assemble the engines supercharger. There are two pieces of the supercharger that act as a base for the rest of it. They also hold a small nut that is used to attach the engine to the firewall. The firewall has two large locator pins to help it mate with the engine.

100_2977_zps013566de.jpg

The correct pieces of the supercharger to use are V7 and V8. What I did not know is Tamiya included two parts (I think E14 and E15) that look identical to Y7 and Y8. They also assemble the same, so I proceeded to assemble the entire engine using this part. After assembling and painting the engine I decided to dry fit the firewall to the engine and found the difference between the two. Parts E14 and E15 do not have a flat spot or holes for the locator pins to mount the firewall. I tried and they just would not work. So I had to take the supercharger apart to fix the problem. The problem with that is like a good little modeler I glued the parts plastic to plastic which make a very strong bond. So after about an hour of careful cutting, a few cuss words (more specifically all of them), and some creative trimming I was able to fix the problem. I feel the need to expose my bone headedness on the internet in hopes of saving someone else the same problem.

On another note I am looking for a good way to simulate mud if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks for looking.

100_2975_zpsb58261d1.jpg

100_2976_zps4f164517.jpg

Aircav

How good it is to see you back on another Mustang, and Petie 3 is a great scheme. I hope you'll post everything you do. Looking forward to much more.

Best

Geoff

Guest Peterpools

Looking forward to your Petie 3rd Mustang build. Also having built Big Beautiful Doll, I have another Tamiya Mustang in the hanger waiting for a build date late this year.

Keep 'em coming

:popcorn: :popcorn:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, with summer coming my attentions have shifted elsewhere and my building has slowed. I have been slowly pecking away at this build though. So far I have the engine, and the cockpit except for the sidewalls done. I have been trying a lot of new weathering techniques. I have had good luck with the Barracuducals resin details. I messed up the photo etched instrument cluster face and opted to use kit parts. I cut the handles off the kit parts and replaced them with the resin ones. I also added some cockpit stencil decals. I used the resin battery and radio packs and added some much needed wiring to them. I think the whole thing is turning out great so far. Hope you enjoy. +

100_2985_zps6080f22b.jpg

100_2981_zps8a022719.jpg

100_2984_zps3015b9d0.jpg

100_2982_zps68c1da40.jpg

100_2979_zps5b4d1d58.jpg

I think this project is coming along well. It may be stalled for quite a while though. During my last project I stupidly sanded away a bunch of surface detail from one of the fuselage halves. Being the obsessive person I am I decided to cannibalize the kit I am working on now to finish that kit so I took out the Q parts thinking I could quickly order replacements from Tamiya. I used the fuselage half in that kit and used the filleted tail pieces as test dummies. Shortly after that I contacted Tamiya to order the replacements. They did not have them is stock but said it could be about 8 weeks before they got them. That was March. I contacted them again yesterday and they said it would be another 3 weeks before they got them in if I am lucky. So this kit may be stalled for quite some time.

• 7 months later...

Hello all, I know it has been a long time since I posted. I took a long break. I have only been back to work the last couple of weeks. I have finished the cockpit sidewalls and I am ready to put the fuselage halves together. I think the sidewalls turned out rather nicely. I used Barracuda Studios resin sidewalls. I will say they take a great deal more skill than the kit ones. There were a couple of times I was about to throw in the towel. It was entirely my doing though. The parts quality was terrific. The only problems I had was the canopy handle in one kit was broken when I got it, and the K-14 gun sight was slightly deformed in another. Thanks to the terrific customer service from Barracuda the parts were replaced free of charge within days. I also used the Barracuda Studios cockpit stencil decals. I recommend them highly whether you are using kit parts or resin. The add tons to the build. I am glad to be back. Hope you enjoy my pictures.

DannasCamera242_zps94c45035.jpg

DannasCamera241_zps83c64904.jpg

Guest Peterpools

If I remember correctly, on the Eaglecal instructions is a template for masking out the nose. If I'm wrong, haven knows how often that is, then some mighty careful masking will be needed.

Peter