Silver Widow. Gen. Earl Barnes' P-61A

jacksdad64

Forgot to ask.

Where does the cockpit green finish and the chromate start between the crew entry hatch and the nose u/c bay? My thinking is cockpit green as far as the sides and chromate on the horizontal surface and side of the bay itself.

Forgot to ask.

Where does the cockpit green finish and the chromate start between the crew entry hatch and the nose u/c bay? My thinking is cockpit green as far as the sides and chromate on the horizontal surface and side of the bay itself.

Not 100% sure here as there are few or no period photographs of this area freshly factory painted and you cannot really totally rely on restored P-61C aircraft. If we are talking the interior of the nose wheel bay itself then it most likely would have been zinc chromate yellow (probably an olive yellow as opposed to a bright yellow). The crew entry hatch may well have been painted the same interior green colour on all surfaces as this was produced as a separate component and installed later in the production cycle after the airframe was built. It will be interesting to see how the MAAM paint the restored P-61B in this respect?

Derek.

Not much of an exciting update but I thought I would let you see the start I've made to the nose wheel.

20130503_103407_zps20d03fd1.jpg

Fortunately, Barnes' Widow had a cover on the outer side so that will save me a job. :)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the slow update but I have been doing some Tornado stuff.

Anyhoo, I glued the port wing parts together and oh dear. :(

Now it could be me, I don't know, but despite making sure everything lined up properly I ended up with a bit of a trench between the lower outer wing and the boom.

20130516_071656_zps92076056.jpg

Not a big deal as I will just fill it with card and sand flush. It's just a bit of a surprise given the good fit so far.

I have also attached the frame for the oxygen bottles in the rear of the main wheel well. Hopefully it will look ok once the bottles and plumbing are in place.

20130516_071756-1_zpsc4feb9ea.jpg

Next jobs are drilling the holes in the wheel wells for all the associated plumbing and in the various boxes in the cockpits for all the wiring.

TTFN,

Steve