Revell Me 109 G4

It really looks great Chris, your best so far in my opinion.

I would offer one constructive comment on the exhaust staining, please forgive me if you are not looking for commentary.

It is the only part of the model that detracts for me. A more subdued application would reduce the contrast and allow the eye to "fall" on the exhaust staining, rather than be called there loudly. Perhaps a thinner paint layered on gradualy, with maybe a little more "brown" in it? Or perhaps a pastel chalk method?

Look at Tony Oliver's Dora for example...the stain is there, but is very subtle.

Picture of Tony's Dora

Or Frank Crenshaw's 109 with heavy staining. It's very evident but the edges are feathered and quite realistic looking.

Picture of Frank's 109

I have no idea how these guys got the effect they did, but when I do exhaust staining on German birds I look to these 2 planes as my inspiration.

Again, meant in the spirit of true competere' (striving together)!

Cheers~

Thank you Chris, it doesn´t matter, i think that it is a bit to dark too. It was a normal thinned (70/30) Gunze "Rußschwarz" H 452.

Next time i will light up it with a few drops white and brush it more "smooth" behind the exhaust.

Like that, only more light:

Cheers

Chris Hannover

post-4-1104855284.jpg

Hello Chris,

excellent built ! Wow, high standard . For the question of exhaust i think you have done a god job, cause we have to check the actual fuel situation when this aircraft flew. If the Me 109 was fieled with german AC-fuel the fuel was produced by coal, so the exhaust is darker than for e.g. the aiied fighters; second the aircraft paint was blleched by the sun, so the contrast is heavier like in europe.

Here an example fo heavy exhaust on Me 109 at the end of the war :

SO, by myself i wouldnt changed anything

Thomas

post-4-1104862451.jpg

Pastels are a great way to do exhaust stains. Rub the pastels across 150 grit or rougher sandpaper so that you build a fine powder and apply this to the model with a soft brush. This technique allows you to build up the stain slowly and using different color pastels allows you to vary the stain color. Works great for gun stains as well.

G'day Hannover Chris, Bavo! for you and your Gustav. It looks very neat to me. Very cool mate :o , love to see the "trop" 109's and their desert schemes. I think perhaps the exhaust staining stands out more on your aircraft because of the light RLM76. You have seen the exhaust stain on the pictures of my 109E, and they would be the same consistencey and texture as yours on the Gustav.However the background colour on the Emil is darker.

Another tip you could try,is to use a "soft" 2B lead pencil. Draw a couple of lines in the direction of the airflow from the exhaust stacks. Then with an eraser, wipe it across the lines with a very light pressure, in the same direction and you will achieve a very subtle light grey line. I did this on my Spit for the exhaust and wing cannons and it looked AOK. If you do not like what you see, you can simply ersase the "stain" with the eraser and have another go. Anyways mate, a very well done job and a great addition to your cabinet. Magnific! :o Cheers JimInOz

Chris,the G-4 looks great and as for the exhaust stains I agree with the coal-fuel comment as that fuel left an ugly mess down the sides of most of the German aircraft.Yes some are more subdued but some really look filthy as well.Very nice job...cheers...Dave