1/24 FW190D-13 conversion

JRutman

Thanks guys for looking in.

Made a little progress. I glued some plastic on the ends of the top cowl to start to bring the edges to the required shape and a straight line. Also am still building up putty to get the correct shape for the D-11/13.

IMG_1440_zpsf466019d.jpg

I started to sand away the bulges so I get that straight line in the top view profile as well. The top fuselage profile needs to match the lines of the top cowl hinges,ending in a small curve that fairs into the radiator space. I sanded the high point of the incorrect bulge and you can see that in grey plastic. The white putty is the correct diameter at the front so I now need to fill in the areas in between the two and sand it all smooth. The same was done for the bulge at the lower hinge line,although not as severe.

IMG_1441_zps165767b7.jpg

And so it goes. Is this donkey work too boring? It's hard to gauge the interest level with this basic shape stuff.

J

Boring.....boring... hell... its good to see you back mastering a FW190 conversion - what could be boring about that?

Hope you're well Jerry.

Ahhhhh!! A voice from the dead? How ya doin' mate?

J

Jerry

I'm OK. Not dead.... worse - wandering in a twilight world of 1/48 models (gasp!).... However, my 1/32 instincts are returning after a severe shock (I think it was the Revell Uhu that did it - runs for cover)..

That Trump Dora is a bit of a dog isn't it. Looks like they used the Aero Detail book's 'scale drawings' - that's how Trumpy came up with the curved panel lines on the wing..... :doh: .

Your work looks great and I'm glad you're back in the master making saddle... Do you need any refs on the D-13...? I've got a lot of photos from the latest restoration....

Matt

Jerry

I'm OK. Not dead.... worse - wandering in a twilight world of 1/48 models (gasp!).... However, my 1/32 instincts are returning after a severe shock (I think it was the Revell Uhu that did it - runs for cover)..

That Trump Dora is a bit of a dog isn't it. Looks like they used the Aero Detail book's 'scale drawings' - that's how Trumpy came up with the curved panel lines on the wing..... :doh: .

Your work looks great and I'm glad you're back in the master making saddle... Do you need any refs on the D-13...? I've got a lot of photos from the latest restoration....

Matt

any pics of the restoration would be good. specially the cowl area. I want to get it right as I actually want to build one of these when it gets into production. I need to practice spray painting.

I have the Crandall book in hard cover about the D-9/11/13 so you don't need to duplicate that.

J

Jerry,

if I might jump in here, one area of the D13 that never seems to get photographed is the 20mm MG151/20 mounted between the pilot's feet.

So Matt if you can, a pic or two of the MG cover and the fire wall would be appreciated by me and probably lots of other Würger nuts as well.

Excuse my high jack.
Nice work Jerry.

Jerry,

if I might jump in here, one area of the D13 that never seems to get photographed is the 20mm MG151/20 mounted between the pilot's feet.

So Matt if you can, a pic or two of the MG cover and the fire wall would be appreciated by me and probably lots of other Würger nuts as well.

Excuse my high jack.

Nice work Jerry.

This area may look different than you think. The surviving D-13 did not have the cannon mounted at the centerline. The design called for it but for some reason it was not mounted. The area of the firewall where the cannon passed through into the cockpit was blanked off but I don't know if the pit had the fairing in it for the breech of the gun. I thought it was supposed to be a 30mm?

J

Got a small amount done on the schnazz. It looks like a small amount but there was a hefty amount of sanding being done!. I applied more putty to the are between the putty already added to the leading edge ring and the area I sanded down,trying to get the "twain" to meet. I am almost there with getting the cowl rid of the curves. Also have gotten the top gun cover pretty far along. When I get everything straight and true on both sides I will then add the infamous cowl bulge for the Ta152 style engine bearing arms. I then have to re-make my old scoop and prop blade from the ancient conversion set I did for the airfix kit and of course,the piece between the wheelwells for the 30mm dump chut,some repositioning of fuel filler points and voila! D-13 in the Kingly scale.

IMG_1445_zpsc05de932.jpg

I was thinking(always dangerous) that as long as I am having to alter this fuselage and move around the fuel filler points,are there any other issues with this fuselage that need to be addressed? Is there a "improvement list" posted anywhere?

J

I have the straight lines and the nooks and crannies squared away. Now I can add the engine arm bulge.

IMG_1446_zps7278a59f.jpg

Started on my old old part for the intake. I am embarresed by how bad it was. Here is the basic shape much closer to the real thing now. Still needs final shaping. You can see how the curve at the top(left side in pic) is more pronounced than the one on the bottom.

IMG_1447_zps5f323aae.jpg

Here is the kit spinner(gray) and my old part. I think my old parts' shape is a lot better acourding to the drawings. I will have to add the cannon opening and square away the panel line.

IMG_1448_zps74229d9e.jpg

Here is the start mods on the prop blade. I left the new one attached to the whole trumpy piece as it was easier to work with plus now,there is the additional benefit of seeing the contrast between the D-9 and D-13?152 blades.

IMG_1449_zpsa1aeca9c.jpg

Not as cool a post as the jaw dropping scratchbuilding on this forum right now but I thought maybe it would be useful to some?

J

Edited by JRutman

Not as cool?...meh...this build has my attentions all the way. It is fun to see master modeller in action. Jerry, there is no need to be humble about your exceptional skill set, this is just plain COOL !!!

I am looking forward to see the creation of the bulges. :)

Thanks for sharing

Martin

Edited by Martinnfb

Not as cool?...meh...this build has my attentions all the way. It is fun to see master modeller in action. Jerry, there is no need to be humble about your exceptional skill set, this is just plain COOL !!!

I am looking forward to see the creation of the bulges. :)

Thanks for sharing

Martin

Thanks Martin,

I will keep on posting then. I had to go back and re-do something. I noticed from the drawings and pics of the real deal that the bottom edge of the gun cowl is a straight line. The kit part has an angled edge. HMMMMM. I knew I would have to add some thickness to the area to get a better fit as the trumpy part wasn't too tight but now I must make this correction. Glad I caught it now! So,revision in the work plan. First straighten out the edge,THEN put in the bulges. Meanwhile I started on the repositioning of the filler points. Pics soon?

J