KI-84 colors

Neo

HI guys

planning on starting this KI-84 Hayate soon but im lost in those jap colors

Hasegawa says the top color is od green (mr color 304) but eagle strike decals say dark nakajima green (mr color 129)

second thing is that i dont have MR Color available here i prefer humbrol but i can find MM paints too (enamel)

can someone point me in the right direction for :

Top, under, cockpit in Humbrol or MM

Cheers

Neo

Edited by Neo

I know Tamiya has colors for both the Japanese Imperial Navy and Army but they are acrylic and It sounds like you need enamel colors. Tamiya paint is awesome if you are willing to give it a try.

The colors are as follows for the Ki-84 as far as I know

The grey is XF-14 Japanese army grey

The green is XF-13 Japaniese army green

Cockpit- I have always used X-23 Clear blue. I think there are different colors for the cockpits depending on when and where they were built etc. I think some are blue and some are green.

Hope this helps a little,

Graeme

Thanks for the info

these are the decals ill be using (the one with the blue tail) Clicky

the tamiya number helped alot i can convert those to humbrol

Hey Tim thats ill come back and check maybe the decals im using may help to narrow it down

from what a gather i need Gunze Mr Color 127 "Nakajima Cockpit Color". for my pit

No, that's not the case.

From what I've been able to discern from the information posted on j-aircraft.com and looking through various books with information on the Ki-84, there may have been three distinct interior colors depending upon when the aircraft was built. For the earliest Ki-84's such as the preproduction airframes that went to the 29th Sentai in 1944, those may have had aotake cockpits. The interim production cockpits may have been painted in a dark green very similar to if not the same as the exterior color. For late build Ki-84's, the cockpit color was most probably natural metal (unpainted).

The aircraft you've chosen is from the 29th Sentai but it's anyone's guess as to whether it was one of the preproduction examples an interim one or one of the later ones. I have my doubts about it being a later build aircraft as the exterior color is still dark green. The Japanese army switched to an olive color late in the war from what I remember reading and that color was most similiar to FS30118 or a British Dark Earth color. In my opinion, the aircraft you've chosen to build would have either a dark green interior or a bare metal one.

• 2 months later...

According to an old book written in Japan, I had that I can't find, colors both fading and chipping. The Red meatballs quickly turned a reddish rust color.

Edited by Fred Jack