Henschel Hs-129 1/48

scvrobeson

Guest Peterpools

Matt

All true but after using acrylics for about a year, I missed the qualities (at least for me) of enamels. I guess that's what makes for horse races.

Peter

Matt

All true but after using acrylics for about a year, I missed the qualities (at least for me) of enamels. I guess that's what makes for horse races.

Peter

And that's fine. Everyone uses different stuff, it's always just what works best for each model builder. I find all paints except for Model Master Acrylic seem to work pretty well, so I use whatever is needed for each job. I have found that different kinds of paint do seem to work better for different jobs on a model.

On another note, the fuselage of the Henschel is now together. Pictures will follow in the morning.

Matt :party0023:

Hey everyone. I got the fuselage halves finally glued together, and the task of filling and sanding has been moving along pretty well. Even if all of the resin parts being shoved in, the kit fit surprisingly well once all of the casting blocks were removed. That was really the biggest task was making sure all of the casting blocks were completely gone. Just a quick 20 minute appointment with the Dremel, and everything fit just fine. There was a big seam right behind the cockpit, but some putty and Surfacer is fixing that up nicely.

Here are the photos, I hope you all enjoy them.

Hs-129B-2029.jpg

Hs-129B-2021.jpg

Hs-129B-2022.jpg

Hs-129B-2023.jpg

The ejector pins on both sides will be covered up by a photo-etch piece from the CMK set.

Hs-129B-2024.jpg

The instrument panel is really deep in there, so it's really hard to see, but I know it's in there.

Hs-129B-2025.jpg

Hs-129B-2028.jpg

Really just some small seam work to finish up here, and it should all be perfectly smooth. The nice square section fuselage makes sanding very easy, since you don't have to worry about ruining the curve of the fuselage.

Hs-129B-2027.jpg

Hs-129B-2026.jpg

A couple of spots of putty to fix my own mistakes putting the plane together, and removing panels for the detail set. Once I sand down those seams, the fuselage should be done and can be set aside until it's time to add the wings on.

I hope that you all enjoy this build, I'm liking it. It's nice to add a bunch of detail sets to a plane, to really get an appreciation of the interior work inside of it, and how the plane actually goes together. Thanks to everyone for reading in, all comments and critiques are welcome. I hope to get some more progress done during this week, since I should have free time amongst my rehearsal and class schedule.

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Very nice progress on the fuselage and with the gaps and seams under control. For filler , what's your poison? I've been using Mr Surfacer and Bondo but Mr Surfacer is getting harder and harder to find. :thumbsup:

Peter :popcorn:

Matt

Very nice progress on the fuselage and with the gaps and seams under control. For filler , what's your poison? I've been using Mr Surfacer and Bondo but Mr Surfacer is getting harder and harder to find. :thumbsup:

Peter :popcorn:

Hey Peter. I use Mr. Surfacer for 90% of my work, I'm sorry if it's hard for you to find. My hobby store seems to have no trouble, they actually have cases of each grade of Surfacer in stock.

For any big seams, or gaps, I will initially fill them will thick super-glue, then sand and polish that down. If there is anything else that requires filling, I will either use Squadron Green, Tamiya White, or Surfacer. On the bottom, I used the Tamiya white because there was a step as well as a small gap, so the Tamiya stuff is great for that, although it takes a very long time to dry. I usually have to leave it overnight before I can work with it.

Hope this helps out. Thank you so much for reading in and commenting so often.

Matt

Matt,

I have watched your build with such enjoyment and looks superb,god work.

:)

Thank you very, very much Maru. You are always so nice with your comments. This is actually been a good build for me, because the base kit and the aftermarket work well together, without too much trouble.

Hey everyone. I was away from the bench for a few days, busy with school and teaching. Don't believe anyone if they tell the life of a college student or music teacher is easy, because it is very difficult. My Tuesdays begin at 9am, and usually run to 11pm, with maybe 45 min off if I'm lucky for lunch. But I've been able to squeeze in a bit of model time, and got the wings firmly attached and cleaned up on the Henschel, so it's in the home stretch now to the painting stage. The first part of the update will show just the bottom wing attached, the second part will show the top wing halves and tail parts added on, and everything cleaned up.

Hs-129B-2030.jpg

There was some drastic plastic surgery needed to get the ammo magazine bay fitted, but it was pretty quick work with the Dremel and a small sanding wheel.

Hs-129B-2031.jpg

Hs-129B-2032.jpg

The fit of the lower wing was decent, not perfect, but also not terrible. no need to bust out the files for this one, but some putty and sanding was needed to get everything squared away.

Edited by scvrobeson

And here the Henschel is with the top wing halves added in. I found that I had to really sand the outer walls of the landing gear bays, since they were fouling up the fit with the fuel tank bays. If I did this build again, I would probably leave the fuel tanks out, and just use the other resin bits, since these seem to be the only parts that caused big fit problems.

Hs-129B-2034.jpg

Hs-129B-2035.jpg

Hs-129B-2038.jpg

Hs-129B-2039.jpg

Hs-129B-2040.jpg

Hs-129B-2041.jpg

Hs-129B-2037.jpg

Hs-129B-2036.jpg

The rudder is kicked a bit, and the elevators and flaps will be dropped, to add some more interest to the control surfaces. I like that CMK provided complete new tail surfaces, they just glued right into place instead of the kit parts.

Hs-129B-2043.jpg

Hs-129B-2042.jpg

Still my favorite part of the build so far, the big fuel tank. You can also see how the fit of the fuselage and wing roots was in those two shots, the fit was actually pretty good once everything was shoved together.

The last few parts to deal with are the engines, and then all of the doors that cover the resin bays will need to be temporarily fitted for the painting stages, then I can finally get to work on the camo scheme for this one. The beaten up winter scheme should be very fun to try and pull off. But I think the primer stage will show lots of small things that I still need to fix before I can think about painting.

I hope that everyone is enjoying this build, I know I am. The Hasegawa kit is great, and this airplane really was a spectacular little machine, even though it wasn't the most effective out there. And you have to applaud the bravery of the men who flew this thing, knowing there was a low chance of them coming back on the Eastern Front.

Thank you to everyone who has been reading in and commenting, it's always great to see.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice work on the Panzerknacker, Matt! It's always been one of my favourite Luftwaffe aeroplanes. Someday I need to finish my 1/72nd scale model. At any rate, I look forward to seeing yours done, especially in a winter scheme.

Regards,

Jason

Nice work on the Panzerknacker, Matt! It's always been one of my favourite Luftwaffe aeroplanes. Someday I need to finish my 1/72nd scale model. At any rate, I look forward to seeing yours done, especially in a winter scheme.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason! I agree with you, it's such a cool airplane, and so purposeful in design. It was built for just one job, which is so odd for a German plane of that time. It seems like everything had to have multiple uses, but the Hs-129 was only designed to blow up tanks. The pilots must have been extremely brave or crazy to jump into one of these cramped cockpits and fly right at a T-34 or KV-1 with guns blazing.

I would like to see your 1/72 build.

Mine is actually in primer now, I will see if I can get some pictures up on Friday. I have 8 hours of glass, and then a gig in the evening, so I will be away form the bench all day. But Friday might be easier.

My winter scheme will be kind of speculative, not really meant to depict one exact plane. I was planning to do Yellow 3, like Jereon, but I think I'll let him do that one. Mine will just be a random number, and scheme, to be more representative than anything else.

I'm glad you like the build, thank you very much for stopping in and commenting on this. I should get this thing finished, I've just been extremely busy lately with school, performances, and teaching, and still recovering from the shoulder surgery

Guest Peterpools

Matt

Nice progress on the Henschel. It sure looks like the kit has been fighting you each step of the way but she sure looks good with the wings and tail-feathers in place.Totally agree - love the fuel tank. Keep 'em coming.

Peter

Looks good, I've built this kit too and it is a nice one. I can see you have a bit of a gap on the top of the fuselage, have you test fitted the canopy at all to see if this is going to cause an issue there? As I remember, the canopy is a pretty tight fit over the fuselage if you are going to pose it open.